Calculating Heat Transfer in a Cavity Block Wall with Windows

In summary, the problem involves calculating the flow of heat through a cavity block wall with a total area of 10 square metres, consisting of four layers of materials (concrete, air, polystyrene, and concrete again) with three windows of dimensions 0.5m x 0.7m and glass thickness of 4mm. The outside temperature is 5°C and the inside temperature is 20°C. The task is to calculate the flow of heat through the glass (A) and the total heat flow through the wall (B). The average thermal conductivities of the materials are 0.6 W/m·K for concrete, 0.024 W/m·K for air, 0.03 W
Darth Frodo

Homework Statement

A cavity block wall of area 10m2 constructed of 100 mm concrete, 50 mm air gap, 50 mm of polystyrene and a second 100 mm wall of concrete. The wall contains three windows with dimensions of 0.5 m x 0.7 m with glass 4 mm thick. The outside temperature is 5 °c and the inside temperature is 20°C.

Calculate
(A) the flow of heat through the glass, and
(B) the total heat flow through the wall.

Average thermal conductivities are
Concrete 0.6 W m·' K-'.
Polystyrene 0.03 W m-' K-'.
Air 0.024 Wm-' K-'.
Glass 0.8 W m-' K-'.

Homework Equations

H = kA[itex]\frac{ΔT}{L}[/itex]

H = [itex]\frac{A(ΔT)}{\sum\frac{l}{k}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(A) H = (0.8)(0.35)([itex]\frac{15}{0.004}[/itex])

H = 1050 J/K

Total Heat through Glass = 3150(B): Total heat = Heat though Cavity wall + Heat though windows + Heat through the concrete surrounding the windows

[itex]\frac{10(15)}{\frac{0.1}{0.6}+ \frac{0.05}{0.024}+ \frac{0.05}{0.03}}[/itex] + 3150 + [itex]\frac{(8.95)(15)(0.6)}{0.1}[/itex]

total = 3993.8 J/K

Is this correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Darth Frodo said:
(B): Total heat = Heat though Cavity wall + Heat though windows + Heat through the concrete surrounding the windows
I don't understand the third term there. That would suggest there's an area of concrete surrounding the windows which is not cavity wall.
[itex]\frac{10(15)}{\frac{0.1}{0.6}+ \frac{0.05}{0.03}+ \frac{0.05}{0.03}}[/itex] + 3150 + [itex]\frac{(8.95)(15)(0.6)}{0.1}[/itex]
Some problems there.
You have 0.03 instead of 0.24 for air conductivity. The second concrete wall should be represented by a fourth term below the line in the first expression, not as a third expression added on the end.

Sorry for the confusion. By "Heat though Cavity wall" I meant those sections of the cavity wall that were 10 square metres in area. Then the outer most wall was split into 2 parts, The windows and the surrounding concrete?"The second concrete wall should be represented by a fourth term below the line in the first expression" But the area of the second outermost wall isn't 10 square metres

Darth Frodo said:
Sorry for the confusion. By "Heat though Cavity wall" I meant those sections of the cavity wall that were 10 square metres in area. Then the outer most wall was split into 2 parts, The windows and the surrounding concrete?
I think you are misreading the problem:
A cavity block wall constructed of ... and a second wall of concrete. The wall contains three windows​
The 'cavity block wall' consists of four layers: concrete-air-polystyrene-concrete.
The 'wall' that contains three windows is the cavity block wall as a whole, not just the second layer of concrete. (Otherwise you wouldn't be able to see through the windows.)
And I forgot to mention (as follows from this) that the 10(15) in your first expression should have the window area subtracted.

Oh god! I feel like a fool! I really misread that bloody question! I assumed I had x-ray vision. Thanks!

1. What is heat transfer in cavity walls?

Heat transfer in cavity walls refers to the movement of thermal energy from one side of a cavity wall to the other. This occurs through conduction, convection, and radiation.

2. How does heat transfer occur in cavity walls?

Heat transfer in cavity walls occurs through conduction, where heat is transferred through the solid material of the wall, convection, where heat is transferred through the movement of air within the cavity, and radiation, where heat is transferred through electromagnetic waves.

3. What factors affect heat transfer in cavity walls?

The factors that affect heat transfer in cavity walls include the material of the wall, the thickness of the wall, the presence of insulation, and the temperature difference between the two sides of the wall.

4. What are the benefits of cavity walls for heat transfer?

Cavity walls can provide insulation and reduce heat transfer, making them more energy-efficient and cost-effective for heating and cooling a building. They can also help to reduce condensation and prevent moisture from entering the building.

5. How can heat transfer in cavity walls be improved?

To improve heat transfer in cavity walls, insulation can be added to the cavity to reduce heat loss. Additionally, using materials with a lower thermal conductivity can also improve heat transfer. Ensuring proper ventilation and sealing any gaps or cracks in the wall can also help to reduce heat transfer.