1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer mechanisms problem; Conduction

1. Oct 28, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Diagram is attached showing part (a) and part (b)
    Two identical rectangular rods of metal are welded end to end (a), with temperature of T1=0 0C on the left side and a temperature of T2=100 0C on the right hand side. In 2.0 minutes, 10J is conducted at a constant rate from the right side to left side. How much time would be required to conduct 10 J if the rods were welded side to side (b).

2. Relevant equations

P=kA(T1-T2) / L

3. The attempt at a solution

Now I know that the answer is 30 seconds or 1/4 of a minute. This means that the ratio of A/L for the first diagram is 4 times greater than the ratio of A/L for the second diagram, as the thermal conductivity and temperature difference is the same. However I have no idea how that result was achieved. Can anyone please provide me with help to find the solution.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2008 #2
    please answer

4. Mar 1, 2011 #3
    when the two metal rods are placed side to side , area of cross section together as -
    new A = twice of previous A

and length is only the length of one length (length wise)

initially it was ..end to end ..so it was 2L
    so..effective is the factor four

5. Mar 1, 2011 #4
    In part "a" the rods are in series and in part "b" the rods are in parallel so you will need to review conduction in series and parallel pathways. q in part "a" is 10J/120 sec in part "b" q is 10J/ X sec. You have two equations set L/(K*A) = L/(K*A) and solve for T.

6. Mar 1, 2011 #5
    OOPS! Sorry, solve for X in Seconds not T

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?