Hello, can somebody check my transistor amplifier schematic?

In summary: Yes, you could use a hand-turned variable capacitor for that input tuning stage, or you could use a voltage-controlled varactor diode to change the input capacitance to fine-tune the input resonant frequency.
  • #1
434
19
Hi, can somebody tell me how to connect some component in this picture, i draw it but is not working because i have no bfg520 transistor, look this picture maybe i make mistake
lllll.png
 

Attachments

  • lllll.png
    lllll.png
    15.5 KB · Views: 1,209
Engineering news on Phys.org
  • #2
Can you provide some context here? What is the circuit for?

What did you replace the BFG520 transistor with? It seems you need to find an equivalent transistor or one that's similar and adjust the other compoenets as well.

I'm not skilled in electronics per se and can't comment beyond this. However, I figured other PF members would need to know what I'm asking here.

It seems thay are still selling this transistor:

https://www.nxp.com/products/rf/rf-...nsistors/npn-9-ghz-wideband-transistor:BFG520
 
  • #3
jedishrfu said:
Can you provide some context here? What is the circuit for?

What did you replace the BFG520 transistor with? It seems you need to find an equivalent transistor or one that's similar and adjust the other compoenets as well.

I'm not skilled in electronics per se and can't comment beyond this. However, I figured other PF members would need to know what I'm asking here.

It seems thay are still selling this transistor:

https://www.nxp.com/products/rf/rf-...nsistors/npn-9-ghz-wideband-transistor:BFG520
one question, can you compare with mine circuits is everything ok, except transistor?
lllllllllllllp.png
 

Attachments

  • lllllllllllllp.png
    lllllllllllllp.png
    18 KB · Views: 981
  • #4
Both schematics look basically okay to me. Is L1 supposed to be coupling to an antenna as the signal input?

When you say the circuit "is not working", what do you mean? Can you plot the DC solution? Are you trying to run a transient analysis? If so, what is your input signal?
 
  • #5
berkeman said:
Both schematics look basically okay to me. Is L1 supposed to be coupling to an antenna as the signal input?

When you say the circuit "is not working", what do you mean? Can you plot the DC solution? Are you trying to run a transient analysis? If so, what is your input signal?
:headbang::headbang::headbang:, I forgot to add signal, but if i put 1 v output is 313mV is okej?
 
  • #6
michael1978 said:
but if i put 1 v output is 313mV is okej?
No, this is an AC amplifier, with an assumed input source somewhere around L1.
 
  • #7
The 2V DC bias source is for setting the capacitance of that varacter diode, to make the input LC tank circuit resonate at the frequency of interest... It is not a signal input source.
 
  • #8
berkeman said:
The 2V DC bias source is for setting the capacitance of that varacter diode, to make the input LC tank circuit resonate at the frequency of interest... It is not a signal input source.
Sorry one more question, is not working so good varactor because, in document the say min 0.8v and max 6V to change resonance, i don't undrestand, so input frequency must be 100MHZ right?
 
  • #9
michael1978 said:
is not working so good varactor because, in document the say min 0.8v and max 6V to change resonance
And the 2V bias is right in the middle of that range, right? You will fine-tune that input DC voltage to get the right LC resonance...
michael1978 said:
so input frequency must be 100MHZ right?
That's about what the output filter is tuned for, so yes.
 
  • #10
michael1978 said:
Sorry one more question, is not working so good varactor because, in document the say min 0.8v and max 6V to change resonance, i don't undrestand, so input frequency must be 100MHZ right?
input si
berkeman said:
And the 2V bias is right in the middle of that range, right? You will fine-tune that input DC voltage to get the right LC resonance...

That's about what the output filter is tuned for, so yes.
Please sorry, for what we use te varactor? to tune from 88mhz to 108mhz right of not? why i can't change the frequency, can you explain more clear please, what input dc voltage you mean for varactor diode to change capacitance to tune to another station, because i read varactor with dc input increase and decrase the capacitance of varactor, and i put to 2v , do i need to put potentiometer to connect with varactor, of, how suppose to be working like this?, to change frequence
 
  • #11
This is a similar
michael1978 said:
Please sorry, for what we use the varactor? to tune from 88mhz to 108mhz right of not?
Yes, the reverse bias voltage of any diode changes its capacitance (because it changes the width of the depletion layer). The higher the reverse bias voltage, the wider the depletion layer and hence the lower the capacitance of the diode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varicap

You could use a hand-turned variable capacitor for that input tuning stage, or you can use a voltage-controlled varactor diode to change the input capacitance to fine-tune the input resonant frequency.

So L1 is part of the antenna input circuit, right?
 
  • #12
berkeman said:
This is a similar

Yes, the reverse bias voltage of any diode changes its capacitance (because it changes the width of the depletion layer). The higher the reverse bias voltage, the wider the depletion layer and hence the lower the capacitance of the diode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varicap

You could use a hand-turned variable capacitor for that input tuning stage, or you can use a voltage-controlled varactor diode to change the input capacitance to fine-tune the input resonant frequency.

So L1 is part of the antenna input circuit, right?
But i use already varacator(voltage-controlled varactor), what i have to do more, because i want to use varactor, there is not more in use so much variable capacitor, what i need to change to work varactor can you help me,the L1 is part of oscillator, and i put signal between L1 and Right leads of capacitor C3
 
  • #13
michael1978 said:
But i use already varacator(voltage-controlled varactor), what i have to do more, because i want to use varactor, there is not more in use so much variable capacitor, what i need to change to work varactor can you help me
Sorry, I'm not able to understand what you said. It sounds like you have used varactor diodes before, and now you need to use one in this circuit. It is shown correctly in the circuit, as far as I can tell.
michael1978 said:
L1 is part of oscillator, and i put signal between L1 and Right leads of capacitor C3
If L1 is the secondary of a tuned antenna transformer, then coupling the input signal into the circuit single-ended with a connection between L1 and C3 does not work the same way. It's better to use a transformer for L1 to couple the input signal in differentially across L1.
 
  • #14
berkeman said:
Sorry, I'm not able to understand what you said. It sounds like you have used varactor diodes before, and now you need to use one in this circuit. It is shown correctly in the circuit, as far as I can tell.

If L1 is the secondary of a tuned antenna transformer, then coupling the input signal into the circuit single-ended with a connection between L1 and C3 does not work the same way. It's better to use a transformer for L1 to couple the input signal in differentially across L1.
L1 is part of oscillator? i don't know rely:sorry:, if i know i will tell you, me i just take from that picture, which i post it:sorry:, i think is part of oscillator
 
  • #15
why in document this circuits works, what i make mistake
 
  • #16
Can you post a copy of your simulation schematic with the DC bias points labeled? Which version of SPICE are you using to simulate your circuit?
 
  • #17
michael1978 said:
L1 is part of oscillator? i don't know rely:sorry:, if i know i will tell you, me i just take from that picture, which i post it:sorry:, i think is part of oscillator
Is the circuit meant to be part of a radio receiver or a radio transmitter? Can you show us where you got the circuit from?
 
  • #18
berkeman said:
Can you post a copy of your simulation schematic with the DC bias points labeled? Which version of SPICE are you using to simulate your circuit?
Is party of local oscillator in fm supere heter receiver, he do simulation ind ads2011
 
  • #19
michael1978 said:
Is party of local oscillator in fm supere heter receiver, he do simulation ind ads2011
Please provide a link to where you got it. Thanks. :smile:
 
  • #22
michael1978 said:
Ah, it's a Clapp oscillator, not a receiver amplifier. Got it. I haven't used SPICE to simulate oscillators in the past, but I'm guessing you need to find the DC bias points with the oscillator part disabled, and then let it run starting at that DC bias point. It might take an initial (small) impulse input to start the oscillation going, though.

I'll google some for SPICE simulations of transistor oscillators to see if there are other tips suggested...
 
  • #23
berkeman said:
Ah, it's a Clapp oscillator, not a receiver amplifier. Got it. I haven't used SPICE to simulate oscillators in the past, but I'm guessing you need to find the DC bias points with the oscillator part disabled, and then let it run starting at that DC bias point. It might take an initial (small) impulse input to start the oscillation going, though.

I'll google some for SPICE simulations of transistor oscillators to see if there are other tips suggested...
But i build in multisim, but is no problem i will build also in LTSPICE
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes berkeman
  • #24
berkeman said:
Ah, it's a Clapp oscillator, not a receiver amplifier. Got it. I haven't used SPICE to simulate oscillators in the past, but I'm guessing you need to find the DC bias points with the oscillator part disabled, and then let it run starting at that DC bias point. It might take an initial (small) impulse input to start the oscillation going, though.

I'll google some for SPICE simulations of transistor oscillators to see if there are other tips suggested...
Hello i start to build in LTSPICE so first i put varactor, but there is no bby40, i have only that in multisim
what do you think why is not working in multisim
 
  • #25
berkeman said:
I'll google some for SPICE simulations of transistor oscillators to see if there are other tips suggested...
The search comes up with lots of useful ideas. Here's the google hit list:

https://www.google.com/search?q=spi...illators&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

And this PDF has a nice idea for the forcing function to use to "kick start" the oscillator:

https://m.eet.com/media/1148991/22768-52799di.pdf (see page 110 in the PDF version)

They use a damped oscillator input signal to kick start the oscillator and then let the oscillator circuit continue on its own after the exciting waveform dies out. Nice idea... :smile:

upload_2018-7-27_10-9-24.png
 

Attachments

  • upload_2018-7-27_10-9-24.png
    upload_2018-7-27_10-9-24.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 893
  • Like
Likes Paul Colby
  • #26
berkeman said:
The search comes up with lots of useful ideas. Here's the google hit list:

https://www.google.com/search?q=spi...illators&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

And this PDF has a nice idea for the forcing function to use to "kick start" the oscillator:

https://m.eet.com/media/1148991/22768-52799di.pdf (see page 110 in the PDF version)

They use a damped oscillator input signal to kick start the oscillator and then let the oscillator circuit continue on its own after the exciting waveform dies out. Nice idea... :smile:

View attachment 228449
Thank you very much for time and helping
 
  • Like
Likes berkeman
  • #27
michael1978 said:
Thank you very much for time and helping
have a nice wekend,
in multisim you don't know ok, because i start to build, i did not find the type of varactor but leave i make you tired, thank a lootttttttttttttttttttt,
maybe somebody else know more about multisim
greetings:oldlaugh:
 
Last edited:
  • #28
Hello is anybody here who know to work with multsim, for my circuits thanks TO BEKERMANS he help a lotttttt,
but like i say to him i build in multsim circuit, and i try to build in ltspice but he does not have the type of varactor and transistor
 
  • #29
michael1978 said:
i build in multsim circuit
Can you post your Multisim circuit with the DC operating points labeled? If the simulator can analyze circuits, it can show the DC operating points that it calculates at the start of a simulation...
michael1978 said:
i start to build in LTSPICE
Good. Simulating circuits is much more commonly done in some variety of SPICE. It looks like Multisim is targeted at simulating larger systems (including circuits -- I wonder if they use some standard Berkeley SPICE engine to do that part of their simulations)...
 
  • #30
berkeman said:
Can you post your Multisim circuit with the DC operating points labeled? If the simulator can analyze circuits, it can show the DC operating points that it calculates at the start of a simulation...

Good. Simulating circuits is much more commonly done in some variety of SPICE. It looks like Multisim is targeted at simulating larger systems (including circuits -- I wonder if they use some standard Berkeley SPICE engine to do that part of their simulations)...
Can i do it tomorow, i am tired its 1clock night, sorry goodnight have a nice day or sleep:wink:
 
  • #31
berkeman said:
Can you post your Multisim circuit with the DC operating points labeled? If the simulator can analyze circuits, it can show the DC operating points that it calculates at the start of a simulation...

Good. Simulating circuits is much more commonly done in some variety of SPICE. It looks like Multisim is targeted at simulating larger systems (including circuits -- I wonder if they use some standard Berkeley SPICE engine to do that part of their simulations)...
Goodmorning, i do it, everytime he simulated, now is not working
 
  • #32
berkeman said:
Can you post your Multisim circuit with the DC operating points labeled? If the simulator can analyze circuits, it can show the DC operating points that it calculates at the start of a simulation...

Good. Simulating circuits is much more commonly done in some variety of SPICE. It looks like Multisim is targeted at simulating larger systems (including circuits -- I wonder if they use some standard Berkeley SPICE engine to do that part of their simulations)...
Sorry i fall again in sleep, what is Berkeley SPICE, do you know any good spice software which are able to do this? so maybe i can download, i make dc point agan but is blocked now
 
  • #33
berkeman said:
Can you post your Multisim circuit with the DC operating points labeled? If the simulator can analyze circuits, it can show the DC operating points that it calculates at the start of a simulation...

Good. Simulating circuits is much more commonly done in some variety of SPICE. It looks like Multisim is targeted at simulating larger systems (including circuits -- I wonder if they use some standard Berkeley SPICE engine to do that part of their simulations)...
here is dc points current and voltages
 

Attachments

  • ggggggggggggg.pdf
    132.9 KB · Views: 190
  • #34
It seems incongruous to have a 220uF cap in the middle of a HF oscillator (C1).
 
  • Like
Likes davenn and Averagesupernova
  • #35
NascentOxygen said:
It seems incongruous to have a 220uF cap in the middle of a HF oscillator (C1).
C2 = 220uF is clearly a mistake. 220pF maybe, but an electrolytic would have a higher inductance than the tuning inductor.
I began to model the circuit with LTspice but have not made it oscillate yet.
 

Suggested for: Hello, can somebody check my transistor amplifier schematic?

Back
Top