Can You Help Me Pronounce Krstse in English?

• Thread starter Sleapar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hello
In summary, the name Krstse is pronounced as "kerst-see" in English and spelled as K-R-S-T-S-E. It is not a common name in English-speaking countries and has Eastern European origins. While some may pronounce it differently, the most accurate pronunciation is "kerst-see". The name is derived from the Slavic word "krst" which means "cross" and can also mean "bearer of Christ".
Sleapar
How will you pronounce "Krstse" in English ? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it's not an English word, so there is no correct pronunciation.

But does it have a meaning ?

None whatsoever, in English.

buthow to pronounce it ?

It's not an English word. It has no meaning. It has no pronunciation.

Sleapar said:
Well that depends on the orginial language, which looks like Bosnian or Serbian.

Perhaps it is prononunced like "curse tse" or "kurst se" or "cursht se", where "ur" is pronounced as in "fur", which also sounds like "ir" in "fir".

Is this some kind of puzzle or riddle? Well... It looks Sanskrit to me.

I'd interpret the ts as in tsunami, making tse sound like "see"

It's not an English word, and it is not used for anything by English speakers, no one is aware of where it comes from or what it means, therefore no one can say how it should be pronounced.

Can you give us some context? Where have you seen the word?

What Zoob is trying to say (IMHO) is that, if an English-speaker is going to try to say that word, it would behoove them to pronounce as closely as possible to the way it is pronounced in its native language.

DaveC426913 said:
What Zoob is trying to say (IMHO) is that, if an English-speaker is going to try to say that word, it would behoove them to pronounce as closely as possible to the way it is pronounced in its native language.
No, what I'm saying is no one can tell anyone how to pronounce it in English because no one uses it, or even knows what it means. No "English" pronounciation has been developed.

what about mstislav, as in mstislav rostropovich? (i think his english-speaking friends call him slava)

I understand you zoob. It has a pronunciation in whatever language it is. We could make up an English pronunciation, but that would be butchering the correct pronunciation in the original language.

I suspect what is really being asked for is a phonetic spelling of the word to help with pronunciation. But, we can't very well do that if we don't even know what language it is.

Moonbear said:
I understand you zoob. It has a pronunciation in whatever language it is. We could make up an English pronunciation, but that would be butchering the correct pronunciation in the original language.
No, that's not what I'm saying.

Take the word "voila" which comes from French. According to how I hear people pronouncing it on TV it has taken on the English (or at least American English) pronouciation of "wahlah", as if the v is pronouced as a w. So, if someone asks how "voila" is pronounced in English the correct answer is "wahlah, simply because most people seem to pronounce it that way.

The OP asks for the English pronounciation, which assumes it may be different than the original language pronounciation. We don't use that word at all, and so no English pronounciation has been developed. So, the only correct answer to how it is pronounced in English, is that it isn't.

TheStatutoryApe said:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Krstse&btnG=Google+Search
This is all that Google turns up. Looks like it's a name. Arabic, Middle Eastern, somthing...
Well, some sleuthing from those links suggests it might be Slovene or Bosnian. One link is to a forum, and lots of folks on that site have a location of "Drzava." (Sorry, I don't know how to include the diacritical marks to spell that with the correct letters). So, I looked up Drzava, and was able to find two pages on Wikipedia that matched the language. http://bs.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sjedinjene_Ameri?ke_Države

and http://sl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Država

the codes "bs" or "sl" are supposed to tell me the language, but I didn't recognize them, so, on the choice languages, switched to English.

Then, I found the matching pages in English.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country

And then looked to see which languages were highlighted as already being visited. :biggrin: Then a quick Google search translated those into English.

I still don't know how to pronounce the original word out of all this though. :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
zoobyshoe said:
What about this one:
?>>>>KRSTSE>;:<:
a computer command that computer people know?
In that case it's not necessarily a pronouncible word, it could just be a bit of code or even a mistake in the code. I noticed that the first link has several severe typos and am thinking that the Krstse may possibly be a typo in that instance. It's odd that there were only three hits.

Reminds me of Bart's classic game-winning scrabble word in the Simpsons. Kwyjibo: "A fat, dumb, balding North American ape with no chin".
:rofl:

zoobyshoe said:
No, that's not what I'm saying.
Take the word "voila" which comes from French. According to how I hear people pronouncing it on TV it has taken on the English (or at least American English) pronouciation of "wahlah", as if the v is pronouced as a w. So, if someone asks how "voila" is pronounced in English the correct answer is "wahlah, simply because most people seem to pronounce it that way.
Huh? I don't pronounce it Wah lah. It's more like vwa lah.

The OP asks for the English pronounciation, which assumes it may be different than the original language pronounciation. We don't use that word at all, and so no English pronounciation has been developed. So, the only correct answer to how it is pronounced in English, is that it isn't.
Oh, no, I didn't think he meant different from the original language. I got the first point you were making, that there is no such word in English, so there is no English pronunciation. That's why I think he's really trying to say he is looking for a phonetic spelling to help him pronounce it using letters/sounds familiar to him in English.

Grizzlycomet said:
Reminds me of Bart's classic game-winning scrabble word in the Simpsons. Kwyjibo: "A fat, dumb, balding North American ape with no chin".
:rofl:
HEY! I have a chin thank you very much!:grumpy: :wink:

TheStatutoryApe said:
In that case it's not necessarily a pronouncible word, it could just be a bit of code or even a mistake in the code. I noticed that the first link has several severe typos and am thinking that the Krstse may possibly be a typo in that instance. It's odd that there were only three hits.
I was wondering if it weren't a typo as well. Could be he's a donut consumer wants to know how to pronounce Krispy.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I was wondering if it weren't a typo as well. Could be he's a donut consumer who wants to know how to pronounce Krispy.

Last edited:
Is there an echo in here?

Is there an echo in here?

zoobyshoe said:
...no one can tell anyone how to pronounce it in English because no one uses it...
that we know of.

Clearly the OP has encountered it. We can't presume what context.

Sleapar said:
It's pronounced "Qrctci", emphasis on the 4th syllable.

Well that depends on the orginial language, which looks like Bosnian or Serbian.

Perhaps it is prononunced like "curse tse" or "kurst se" or "cursht se", where "ur" is pronounced as in "fur", which also sounds like "ir" in "fir".

yeh looks like croate to me.. could even be something as simple as Chris

jimmysnyder said:
It's pronounced "Qrctci", emphasis on the 4th syllable.
This makes everything crystal clear, and so simple I can't believe it didn't occur to me instantly.

Anttech said:
could even be something as simple as Chris
Looks more like Christy to me. :biggrin:

Sleapar said:
You still around? If you give me the original language and pronunciation (if it's in an online dictionary, that'd be even better), I might be able to give you the closest-sounding pronunciation in English. The relations between spelling and pronunciation within English and across languages are many to many, and the list of possible pronunciations could be very, very long (or, if one is completely impractical, it could be infinite). So if you want a better answer, you need to give more information.

Based on the sounds those letters usually represent in English, I think the only possible nucleuses (the main, necessary part of a syllable) are e and r -- and r is a bit of a stretch. So Krstse would be either

1) one syllable with nucleus e, making the onset, the sound sequence preceding the nucleus, Krsts, which isn't allowed by English phonotactics
2) one syllable with nucleus r, leaving an illegal coda, the sound sequence following the nucleus, stse,
3) two syllables with nucleuses r and e, giving you something like Kirst-se, with ir being pronounced as it is in bird and the e being pronounced several possible ways (except silently! :wink:).

You might also want to post these kinds of questions in the linguistics and languages sections. :smile:

Last edited:
isn't it some sort of rock formation?

I don't know its origin, I think it is a name.

Best I can figure, it's from the Bosnia/Herzegovina area of Eastern Europe. How to pronounce it, however, beats the heck out of me! If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say Kerstzee...and I'd probably be wrong.