Solving Friction Problems: Coefficient of Kinetic & Normal Force

• Thread starter Graif
  • Start date
In summary, the block is held in equilibrium by the horizontal force and the incline. The normal force is exerted by the incline on the block.
Graif
ok, I am really having trouble with Friction here, how exactly do u get the coefficient of kinetic friction? I have 2 problems here:

1)A box slides down a 31.5° ramp with an acceleration of 1.28 m/s2. Determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the ramp.
Answer: ?

2)A 3.20 kg block starts from rest at the top of a 30.0° incline and slides 2.20 m down the incline in 1.50 s.

(a) Find the acceleration of the block.
Answer: 1.96 m/s^2
(b) Find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline.
Answer: ??
(c) Find the frictional force acting on the block.
(d) Find the speed of the block after it has slid a distance of 2.20 m.
Answer: 2.94 m/s
Now I also have a normal dynamics/kinematics problem which i though i knew, but webassign keeps marking it wrong. here it is:

3) A block with a mass of 20 kg is held in equilibrium on an incline of angle = 30.0° by the horizontal force, F, as shown in Figure 4-31. Find the magnitude of F.
Find the normal force exerted by the incline on the block. (Disregard friction.)

Figure 4-31 is just a ramp (a right triangle) with a cube above it, and the F arrow is horizontally poiting to the right above the cube.

This assigment is due today at 7am, if anybody can help me, please anwer this threat or IM me to aim(cronowarrior007) or yahoo (coolkegcomputer) or MSN (coolcomputer7@hotmail.com).

Thanks so much :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Dont post twice please. Becomes anyoing reading same thing two times. Thank you.

We're not going to do your homework, so start showing us your work.

Remember,

-Draw Free Body Diagram

Friction Force
[tex] F_{f} = \mu N [/tex]

Newton's 2nd Law
[tex] \sum^{n}_{i=1} \vec{F}_{i} = m \vec{a} [/tex]

Last edited:
Also,

[tex]D = V_it + \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]

(Hint: rearrange the equation.)

Hope that helps!

Related to Solving Friction Problems: Coefficient of Kinetic & Normal Force

What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

The coefficient of kinetic friction, denoted as μk, is a dimensionless constant that represents the amount of frictional force between two surfaces in contact when one is in motion. It depends on the types of materials and the roughness of the surfaces.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction calculated?

The coefficient of kinetic friction can be calculated by dividing the force of kinetic friction (Fk) by the normal force (N) between the two surfaces: μk = Fk/N. It can also be determined experimentally by measuring the force needed to keep an object moving at a constant velocity on a surface.

What is the normal force in relation to friction?

The normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. In the context of friction, it is the force that presses the two surfaces together, allowing for frictional forces to occur.

How does the coefficient of kinetic friction affect the motion of an object?

The coefficient of kinetic friction determines the amount of resistance an object will experience as it moves across a surface. A higher coefficient of kinetic friction means a greater resistance, resulting in slower motion, while a lower coefficient means less resistance and faster motion.

How is the coefficient of kinetic friction used in real-world applications?

The coefficient of kinetic friction is used to solve various engineering and physics problems, such as predicting the motion of objects on inclined planes or determining the force needed to move objects on different surfaces. It is also used in the design of brakes, tires, and other mechanisms that rely on friction for their function.