Help Assignment due tonight Sound And Waves Question

In summary: Definite formula for solving logarithmic equations!Now that you've got the answer, I want to show you something that you should know (definitely for future exams).10 \ \log \left( \frac{a}{b}\right)^2 = 20 \ \log \left( \frac{a}{b}\right) Keeping the above in mind, here is a... Definite formula for solving logarithmic equations!
Student3.41

Homework Statement

The sound intensity level 15.0 m from a point source is 64.0 dB. At what distance will it be 53.0 dB?

Homework Equations

Beta = 10log(I/Io)

I2=(r1/r2)^2 I1

The Attempt at a Solution

Found the intensity of 64dB @ 15m I1= 2.51*10^-6

Found the intensity of 53.0dB I2= 1.99 * 10 ^ -7

I used the second forumula ^ to solve for r2...

I got r2 = 10.5m... not sure what to do from here or if I am on the right path... frustrated

Physics news on Phys.org
Student3.41 said:

Homework Statement

The sound intensity level 15.0 m from a point source is 64.0 dB. At what distance will it be 53.0 dB?

Homework Equations

Beta = 10log(I/Io)

I2=(r1/r2)^2 I1

The Attempt at a Solution

Found the intensity of 64dB @ 15m I1= 2.51*10^-6

Found the intensity of 53.0dB I2= 1.99 * 10 ^ -7

I used the second forumula ^ to solve for r2...

I got r2 = 10.5m... not sure what to do from here or if I am on the right path... frustrated

The new distance will have to be greater, since the 2nd sound power level is lower, right?

Try thinking of it this way... What is the difference between the two power levels in dB?

And for that difference in dB, what does the ratio of the two Intensities need to be? And what does that imply for the ratio of the radii?

Looks like something went wrong in your solving for r2 in the last step. Take a close look at that.

berkeman said:
The new distance will have to be greater, since the 2nd sound power level is lower, right?

Try thinking of it this way... What is the difference between the two power levels in dB?

And for that difference in dB, what does the ratio of the two Intensities need to be? And what does that imply for the ratio of the radii?

The ratio of the two intensities is... (2.51*10^-6/1.99*10^-7) = 12.6, so the intensities decreased by a factor of 12.6 ...

so what does that mean for distance..

Student3.41 said:
The ratio of the two intensities is... (2.51*10^-6/1.99*10^-7) = 12.6, so the intensities decreased by a factor of 12.6 ...

so what does that mean for distance..

You had it in one of your equations. Intensity falls as a function of the radius _______

berkeman said:
You had it in one of your equations. Intensity falls as a function of the radius _______

(r1/r2)^2

Student3.41 said:
(r1/r2)^2

There you go!

berkeman said:
There you go!

ive tried this a i can't get it .. i don't know what I am missing, assignments due in 2 hrs and I aiming for a 100.

Student3.41 said:
ive tried this a i can't get it .. i don't know what I am missing, assignments due in 2 hrs and I aiming for a 100.
Show us what you have (using your I2=(r1/r2)2 I1 equation [as mentioned within the last few or so posts]). :smile:

collinsmark said:
Show us what you have (using your I2=(r1/r2)2 I1 equation [as mentioned within the last few or so posts]). :smile:

(1.99*10^-7)=(15/x)^2 * 2.51 * 10^-6

7.93*10^-14=(15/x)^2

6.29*10^-27=15/x

r2(x)= 2.38 *10^27...large number something is wrong

Student3.41 said:

7.93*10^-14=(15/x)^2

6.29*10^-27=15/x

r2(x)= 2.38 *10^27...large number something is wrong

You said that the ratio is 12.6, right? so 12.6 = the ratio of the radii squared. Take the square root to get the ratio, and that tells you how much farther away the second radius is...

Student3.41 said:

7.93*10^-14=(15/x)^2
Something went wrong with exponents.
10a/10b = 10a-b, not 10a+b. :wink:

[Edit: Or just use berkeman's advice in the previous post.]

berkeman said:
You said that the ratio is 12.6, right? so 12.6 = the ratio of the radii squared. Take the square root to get the ratio, and that tells you how much farther away the second radius is...

square root =3.55+15=18.6..

Student3.41 said:
square root =3.55+15=18.6..
Don't panic! :tongue2:

But you shouldn't be adding there. Go back to your equation. You know that

I1/I2 = (x/(15.0 m))2

And you've already determined that I1/I2 = 12.6.

So x is ... :smile:

collinsmark said:
Don't panic! :tongue2:

But you shouldn't be adding there. Go back to your equation. You know that

I1/I2 = (x/(15.0 m))2

And you've already determined that I1/I2 = 12.6.

So x is ... :smile:

53.2 m! i got it after, that was the right answer...appreciate the help! once i get frustrated with a problem i shut down..ill have to make sure i understand what's going on in this for future exams !

Also, in the above equation with the workings I had (15/x) not (x/15)^2, so i could have figured it out using this method and the other method correct?

Student3.41 said:
53.2 m! i got it after, that was the right answer...appreciate the help! once i get frustrated with a problem i shut down..ill have to make sure i understand what's going on in this for future exams !
Great! :smile:

Now that you've got the answer, I want to show you something that you should know (definitely for future exams).

[tex] 10 \ \log \left( \frac{a}{b}\right)^2 = 20 \ \log \left( \frac{a}{b}\right) [/tex]

Keeping the above in mind, here is a much easier way to solve the original problem that we've been working on. The problem statement says,

64 dB - 53 dB = 11 dB.

And you know the power flux decreases as a function of r2 (this has been discussed in previous posts in this thread). So,
11 dB = 20 log (x/(15 m))​
Solve for x. :wink: (yes, it's really that simple. Practice stuff like this for awhile, and you'll get the hang of it.)

Student3.41 said:
Also, in the above equation with the workings I had (15/x) not (x/15)^2, so i could have figured it out using this method and the other method correct?
We inverted everything, remember?.

12.58925 = (x/(15.0 m))2

1/12.58925 = ((15 m)/x)2

And where does this 12.58925 come from?

10 log (12.58925) = 11 dB!

Makes so much sense... this problem was really not that hard. :redface:

Beauty, collinsmark.

1. What is the difference between sound and waves?

Sound is a type of wave that is created by vibrations in a medium, while waves are a general term used to describe the transfer of energy through a medium. Sound waves are specifically mechanical waves, meaning they need a medium to travel through, while other waves like light can travel through a vacuum.

2. How is sound created?

Sound is created when an object vibrates, causing the air particles around it to also vibrate. These vibrations travel through the air as sound waves, eventually reaching our ears and allowing us to hear the sound.

3. What are the properties of sound waves?

Some properties of sound waves include wavelength, frequency, and amplitude. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive points on a wave, frequency is the number of waves that pass through a point in one second, and amplitude is the measure of how much energy the wave carries.

4. How do sound waves travel through different mediums?

Sound waves can travel through any medium, but their speed and intensity can be affected by the properties of the medium. For example, sound travels faster and stronger in solids compared to liquids and gases. This is because the particles in a solid are closer together, allowing for faster transmission of vibrations.

5. How is sound measured?

The most common unit of measurement for sound is decibels (dB), which measures the intensity or loudness of the sound. The frequency of sound is measured in hertz (Hz), with a higher frequency indicating a higher pitch. Sound can also be measured in terms of its wavelength, usually in meters (m).