Help for my spring design

In summary: It will also ensure a failure-proof mechanism as the pin will enter into a hole in the counterpart. In summary, when designing a compression spring for your simple application, you should consider the closed length, free length, material, hardness, coiling direction, and type of end to ensure a long-lasting and reliable mechanism.
Zirok
Hi

I have a very simple application which uses a compression spring. There is a slider attached to one end which pushs the spring by 10 mm. After release the spring should throw back a weight of 1 kg(which is the slider weight).

Spring Dimensions -
OD - 14
ID - 9

What should be my -

Closed Length
Free length
Material ...(it should be non corrosive)
Hardness...(should i use a hardened spring. My application is simple but the life is 20-30 years)
Coiling direction...(What should be the coiling direction..Left or right...& what effect it makes on the operation)
Type of end...(There are many types such as plain, ground end. Actually i am going to load the spring on a shaft of 8 mm. As the slider will slider the pin will enter into a hole in the counterpart. This is deliberately done to avoid any extra operation of spring riveting & ensuring failure proof mechanism)

Need Help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Closed Length: This will depend on the length of the spring being compressed. Generally, you should aim for a closed length of at least 50% of the uncompressed length.Free length: This is the length of the spring when it is not compressed. This should be equal to the length of the spring before it is compressed.Material: Depending on the operating environment, you may want to use a corrosion-resistant material such as stainless steel or an alloy such as Inconel.Hardness: For springs that are expected to last 20-30 years, you should consider using a hardened spring material.Coiling direction: Generally, the coiling direction should be chosen based on the forces that will be applied to the spring. If the force will be in the same direction as the coils, a left-hand coil should be used. If the force will be in the opposite direction as the coils, a right-hand coil should be used.Type of end: For your application, you should consider using a ground end. This type of end will provide a more secure connection to the shaft and will be easier to assemble.

1. How do I determine the best material for my spring design?

The material of a spring is determined by the specific application and its required properties. Some common materials used for springs include steel, stainless steel, and titanium. It is important to consider factors such as strength, corrosion resistance, and temperature tolerance when selecting a material for your spring design.

2. What type of spring should I use for my project?

The type of spring used depends on the specific needs of your project. Some common types of springs include compression, extension, and torsion springs. It is important to consider factors such as load requirements, space limitations, and environmental conditions when choosing the type of spring for your design.

3. How do I calculate the spring rate for my design?

The spring rate is a measure of the stiffness of a spring and is calculated by dividing the load by the deflection. The units of measurement for spring rate are pounds per inch (lbs/in) in the English system, and newtons per millimeter (N/mm) in the metric system. It is important to accurately calculate the spring rate to ensure the desired performance of your design.

4. Can I customize the dimensions of a pre-made spring?

Yes, some manufacturers offer the option to customize the dimensions of pre-made springs to fit your specific design needs. However, it is important to consider the limitations of customization and consult with a professional to ensure the safety and functionality of your design.

5. What is the best way to test the performance of my spring design?

The best way to test the performance of a spring design is to use a spring testing machine that can accurately measure the load and deflection of the spring. This will help determine if the spring meets the required specifications and if any adjustments need to be made for optimal performance.