How Do You Plot the Graph of a Function with Given Derivatives and Asymptotes?

In summary, the derivative of f'(1) is zero, the derivative of f(-2) is the point where it changes concavity, and the graph matches up the data given.
punjabi_monster
help please...graph

Here is a question i am havin a bit of trouble with.

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/8824/cs2rr.jpg

This is what i figured out:

f'(1) must be a local max or min since hte derivativee is 0

the second line are the vertical and horz assympotes.
there is a vertical assymptote at x=0
there is a horizontal assymptote at y=-4 and y=-1

f(-2) is the point where changes concavity

concave down -2<x<0
Concave up x<-2 or x>0

I am unsure of how to draw this graph. thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yu Just Gave All The Conditions For The Graph. Take A Min Athink About It. First Draw Your Assmytopes, Then Insert Your Critical Points And So On

here is what i get for the graph. can someone please verify it.

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/7238/graph7zp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
that looks about right, i matched up the data given and ur graph...and seems kinda accurate...one thing is that...ur f(-2) doesn't seem to be a point of inflection in ur graph its just going up... without changing direction or anything...so i think u might want to fix that

bengalibabu said:
that looks about right, i matched up the data given and ur graph...and seems kinda accurate...one thing is that...ur f(-2) doesn't seem to be a point of inflection in ur graph its just going up... without changing direction or anything...so i think u might want to fix that

What are you trying to say here bengali babu? i don't understand how you say it seems kinda accurate and then you say that my graph just goes up wihtout changing direction. thank for ur help, but i don't get what ur trying to say. can you please clarify. thanks.

actually, i am unsure of this...there might be more to this than i originally thought...maybe someone else cud help u, good luck :smile:

Last edited:
:frown: thanks anyways bengali :smile: , hopefully someone else will be ablle to help me out.

Last edited:

1. How do I plot a graph for f(x)?

To plot a graph for f(x), you will need to have a set of x-values and their corresponding y-values. Then, you can plot these points on a graph and connect them with a smooth line. Alternatively, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the graph for you.

2. What is a function in mathematics?

A function in mathematics is a relation between a set of inputs (x-values) and a set of outputs (y-values) where each input has a unique output. In other words, for every value of x, there is only one corresponding value of y.

3. What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear function?

A linear function is a function where the graph is a straight line, and the rate of change between the input and output is constant. A nonlinear function is a function where the graph is not a straight line, and the rate of change between the input and output is not constant.

4. How can I tell if a function is increasing or decreasing?

A function is increasing when the output (y-value) increases as the input (x-value) increases. In other words, as you move from left to right on the graph, the line goes up. A function is decreasing when the output (y-value) decreases as the input (x-value) increases. In other words, as you move from left to right on the graph, the line goes down.

5. What is the difference between a domain and a range?

The domain of a function is the set of all possible input values (x-values), and the range is the set of all possible output values (y-values). In other words, the domain is the set of all x-values that can be plugged into the function, and the range is the set of all y-values that are produced by the function.

Back