How Do You Reduce Capacitor Values in a Circuit?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter soundguyAL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
They are in parallel across a voltage source. In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem in which the goal is to reduce the value of three capacitors from 50μF, 150μF, and 200μF to 100μF. The initial configuration of the capacitors is in a wye connection, and the parallel combination of the 50μF and 150μF capacitors is in series with the 200μF capacitor. The solution involves using KCL equations and understanding the concept of parallel and series connections in circuits.
soundguyAL
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Hi All.

Can someone give me some tips/tricks for reducing these capacitors?

I understand that, when reduced, the value is 100uF but I don't get it...

Thanks for your help.

cir 1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where I got the 100uF...

My source states that 50 || 150 and in series with the 200...
How is that? I just don't see it.

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Since this is a schoolwork-type question, this thread may get moved to the Homework Help forums. But for now we can try discussing it here in the EE forum (since it seems to be a general procedural question that you have).

What do you mean by "reducing" those 3 capacitors? Are you thinking there is some parallel/series combination, or a Y-Delta transformation? I'm not seeing those, but I could be wrong. I would just attach a ground symbol to the bottom of the left voltage source and write the KCL equations for before and after the switch is closed and solve for the voltages and currents.

Thanks for the welcome!

Yes... this is a HW problem for an EE network analysis class.
I didn't realize this was the wrong forum to post in.
I'm trying my best to understand circuits and its coming slowly.

Thanks for the help!

No worries. Yeah, for homework questions, we requre that they be posted in the Homework Help forums, and when you start a thread there, you are provided with a Template to fill out -- it helps you organize your problem and show your initial work. I'll move your thread there now.

So, have you tried the KCL approach? Or has the instructor said that there are simplifications in this circuit that make the problem easier?

soundguyAL said:
Where I got the 100uF...

My source states that 50 || 150 and in series with the 200...
How is that? I just don't see it.
Focussing on the 50uF and 150uF caps we see each has one plate connected to the other (and this junction connected to the 200uF), and the remaining plate of each is likewise connected to the other's (they are sharing a common node). So the 50uF and 150uF are parallelled.

NascentOxygen said:
So the 50uF and 150uF are parallelled.
Ah, good. I missed that. Thanks NO!

ohh.. In my mind I was going through the resistors to try to see the parallel. I was looking at the circuit like this...
cir 1_2.jpg

I see it now... Thanks a bunch!

From your first diagram, the series connection of the 50 and 150 uF capacitors are in parallel with a short circuit.

You might want to check out the wye to delta conversion. The initial configuration of the 3 capacitors is a wye connection.

magoo,
we kinda skimmed over wye and deltas.
I'll look at those. I'm sure I'll need them.

Thanks.

magoo said:
From your first diagram, the series connection of the 50 and 150 uF capacitors are in parallel with a short circuit.

Be careful not to disinform the OP. In the first diagram the 50μF and the 150μF are not in series.

Likes NascentOxygen and berkeman

1. How does the circuit function?

The circuit functions by using a series of electrical components, such as resistors, capacitors, and transistors, to control the flow of electricity and perform a specific task. These components are connected in a specific way to create a path for the current to flow and produce the desired outcome.

2. What is the purpose of each component in the circuit?

Each component in the circuit serves a specific purpose to control the flow of electricity. For example, a resistor limits the amount of current in the circuit, while a capacitor stores electrical charge. Understanding the purpose of each component is essential in understanding how the circuit works.

3. How do I read the circuit diagram?

A circuit diagram is a visual representation of the circuit, using symbols to represent the different components and their connections. The diagram typically shows the flow of electricity from the power source through each component and back to the power source. Reading the diagram from left to right will give you an idea of the circuit's function and how the components are connected.

4. What is the difference between a series and parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, meaning the current flows through each component in succession. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, allowing the current to flow through each branch simultaneously. The main difference is that in a series circuit, the current is the same throughout, while in a parallel circuit, the current may vary in each branch.

5. How can I troubleshoot a circuit?

To troubleshoot a circuit, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage, current, and resistance at different points in the circuit. This can help identify any faulty components or breaks in the circuit. You can also use a process of elimination by disconnecting and testing each component individually to determine which one is causing the issue.