How Do You Solve This Logarithmic Integral Involving Cosine?

In summary: You can now simplify the integrand using the second hint I gave earlier. Once you simplify, you can integrate by parts to find the final answer. Good luck!In summary, the problem involves finding the integral of x*ln((3+cosx)/(3-cosx)) from 0 to 2pi. Using the property of definite integral, the integral can be rewritten as 2 times the integral from 0 to pi. Then, using the property of logarithms, the integrand can be simplified. Finally, integrating by parts will give the final answer.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

[itex] \displaystyle \int_0^{2 \pi} x \ln \dfrac{3+ \cos x}{3- \cos x} dx [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using property of definite integral
2I = [itex]\displaystyle \int_0^{2 \pi} 2 \pi \ln \dfrac{3+ \cos x}{3- \cos x} dx [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

[itex] \displaystyle \int_0^{2 \pi} x \ln \dfrac{3+ \cos x}{3- \cos x} dx [/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

2I = [itex]\displaystyle \int_0^{2 \pi} 2 \pi \ln \dfrac{3+ \cos x}{3- \cos x} dx [/itex]

I'm not sure what "property of definite integral" would give you that. You'll have to spell it out. Here's a hint. Change the variable to u=2pi-x and see what happens.

You can also rewrite the log of a quotient into something simpler.

Dick said:
I'm not sure what "property of definite integral" would give you that. You'll have to spell it out. Here's a hint. Change the variable to u=2pi-x and see what happens.

[itex]\int_0^a f(x) = \int_0^a f(a-x)[/itex]. This is what I've used.

Then I added both integrals to get rid of x outside log.

SteamKing said:
You can also rewrite the log of a quotient into something simpler.

Can you please elaborate? I didn't get you.

utkarshakash said:
[itex]\int_0^a f(x) = \int_0^a f(a-x)[/itex]. This is what I've used.

Then I added both integrals to get rid of x outside log.

Integrating from one point to another finds the area under the curve between those two points. Think about the graphs of f(x) and f(a-x). f(a-x) is going to be flipped over the x-axis and shifted to the left by "a" units.. Most of the time, the value of the integral wouldn't be the same for both functions. Sorry to tell ya, but I think the property of definite integral may only apply to periodic functions. I don't think this function is periodic

utkarshakash said:
Can you please elaborate? I didn't get you.

[itex]log(\frac{a}{b})=log(a)-log(b)[/itex]
[itex]log(a*b)=log(a)+log(b)[/itex]

utkarshakash said:

Okay. Now observe that
$$\int_0^{2 \pi} \ln \dfrac{3+ \cos x}{3- \cos x} dx=2\int_0^{\pi} \ln \dfrac{3+ \cos x}{3- \cos x} dx$$

Use the same property you used before.

Pranav-Arora said:
Okay. Now observe that
$$\int_0^{2 \pi} \ln \dfrac{3+ \cos x}{3- \cos x} dx=2\int_0^{\pi} \ln \dfrac{3+ \cos x}{3- \cos x} dx$$

Use the same property you used before.

Well done.

What is a logarithmic integral?

A logarithmic integral is a special type of integral that involves the natural logarithm function. It is represented by the symbol Li(x) and has various applications in mathematics and physics.

How do I solve a logarithmic integral?

There is no single method for solving logarithmic integrals. Depending on the specific integral, you may need to use integration by parts, substitution, or other techniques. It is important to identify the appropriate method for each individual integral.

What are the properties of logarithmic integrals?

Logarithmic integrals have several properties, including the fact that they are not always convergent, they can be evaluated using the Cauchy principal value, and they can be expressed in terms of other special functions such as the exponential integral.

Can I use a calculator to solve a logarithmic integral?

Yes, some calculators have built-in functions for evaluating logarithmic integrals. However, it is important to note that these functions may not work for all types of logarithmic integrals, so it is always best to double check the result manually.

What are some real-world applications of logarithmic integrals?

Logarithmic integrals have various applications in physics, such as in the calculation of electric potential or gravitational potential. They are also used in statistics, particularly in the calculation of the cumulative distribution function for certain probability distributions.