Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! need help to open hijackthis

1. Mar 3, 2005 #1
    help! I just got hijackthis and now I can't open it. It says it uses notepad as default program to open but all I get is a page full of unreadable text. I also tried wordpad and the same thing happens. How do you open and run hijackthis??? :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 3, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

You must be hijacked already. EXE files shouldn't be associated with notepad. I say you go into the command line and execute from there.

4. Mar 3, 2005 #3
    I just read that on another website that notepad was the program to use to open hijackthis, but when I tried it, it didn't work. So how do I open and run the hijackthis program? what is the command line?

5. Mar 3, 2005 #4

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

No your doing it all wrong. Geez, no wonder people have so many problems with spyware.

Tell me, how do you NORMALLY run a program? When was the last time you ran Internet Explorer with Notepad?

If you need through instructions read this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial94.html

6. Mar 3, 2005 #5
    thanks, dduardo for the bleepingcomputer site.. it was very helpful until I got to the part to unzip the hijackthis file, which may be very simple in xp, but I have Me and the unzip directions don't apply to my computer. so now I'm back at square 1 again. I have hijackthis and it's zipped. sorry to be so ignorant, but how do I unzip hijackthis in Windows Me?

7. Mar 3, 2005 #6
    nevermind!!! I'm getting the winzip file now
    many thanks!

8. Mar 9, 2005 #7
    Run IE on notepad!? AHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAUAHAHA. I have to go and see if I can destroy my computer by trying to run UT2004 on calculator.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?