Troubleshooting Hijackthis: How to Open and Run the Program

• Thread starter z4955
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a person trying to open and run the program HijackThis, but encountering difficulties with opening it in notepad or wordpad. Another person suggests using the command line, and a website is recommended for further instructions. The person with the issue has a Windows Me computer and is struggling with unzipping the file, but eventually finds a solution. The conversation ends with a humorous comparison of running Internet Explorer on notepad and attempting to run a high-performance game on a calculator.
z4955
help! I just got hijackthis and now I can't open it. It says it uses notepad as default program to open but all I get is a page full of unreadable text. I also tried wordpad and the same thing happens. How do you open and run hijackthis? :confused:

Computer science news on Phys.org
You must be hijacked already. EXE files shouldn't be associated with notepad. I say you go into the command line and execute from there.

I just read that on another website that notepad was the program to use to open hijackthis, but when I tried it, it didn't work. So how do I open and run the hijackthis program? what is the command line?

No your doing it all wrong. Geez, no wonder people have so many problems with spyware.

Tell me, how do you NORMALLY run a program? When was the last time you ran Internet Explorer with Notepad?

If you need through instructions read this:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial94.html

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks, dduardo for the bleepingcomputer site.. it was very helpful until I got to the part to unzip the hijackthis file, which may be very simple in xp, but I have Me and the unzip directions don't apply to my computer. so now I'm back at square 1 again. I have hijackthis and it's zipped. sorry to be so ignorant, but how do I unzip hijackthis in Windows Me?

nevermind! I'm getting the winzip file now
many thanks!

Run IE on notepad!? AHAHAHAHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAUAHAHA. I have to go and see if I can destroy my computer by trying to run UT2004 on calculator.

1. How do I open HijackThis?

To open HijackThis, simply double click on the icon or right click and select "Run as Administrator" if you are using Windows Vista or higher.

2. Why do I need to open HijackThis?

HijackThis is a powerful tool for detecting and removing potentially unwanted programs and malicious files from your computer.

3. What should I do if HijackThis does not open?

If HijackThis does not open, make sure you have downloaded the latest version from a reputable source and that your antivirus software is not blocking it. If the problem persists, you may need to seek assistance from a computer technician.

4. Is it safe to use HijackThis?

Yes, HijackThis is a safe and legitimate program. However, it is important to use caution when interpreting the results and only make changes if you are familiar with the files and programs listed.

5. Can I use HijackThis on any operating system?

HijackThis is primarily designed to run on Windows operating systems. However, there are some versions available for other operating systems such as Mac and Linux.