Help Needed: Force Equations for Horizontal Component of Bigger Block

• Thread starter iMAGICIALoTV
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the conversation discusses setting an equation for the horizontal component of a bigger block and determining the force required to find F_a. The attempt at a solution involves finding the normal force and friction, but the person is unsure if their calculation is correct and asks for assistance. They are also advised to find the force of gravity on the .4kg object to determine the required upward friction and the normal force between the two objects.
iMAGICIALoTV

Homework Statement

506ccf63e4b088f3c14d2617-micahwood50-1349308269219-untitled1.png

Homework Equations

I don't know if I set the equation for horizontal component of the bigger block correctly:

[itex]\huge{\Sigma F_{x_1} = F_a - (f_k + N_2) = ma}[/itex]

If this is true then it seems that there is not enough given information to find [itex]F_a[/itex]. Are there some other way?

The Attempt at a Solution

Find the normal force and friction, then substitute some variables, I guess? I got 6.877 N, but I know it's wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
Somebody? Help me, please?

Find the force of gravity on the .4kg object. That'll give you the required upward friction. Then find the normal force that the 1.8kg object must exert on the .4kg object to get that required friction.

Related to Help Needed: Force Equations for Horizontal Component of Bigger Block

1. What is the horizontal force equation for a bigger block?

The horizontal force equation for a bigger block can be calculated using the equation F = ma, where F is the force applied, m is the mass of the block, and a is the acceleration of the block.

2. How do you find the mass of a bigger block?

The mass of a bigger block can be found by using a scale or balance to measure its weight. The weight of the block can then be converted to mass by dividing by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).

3. What is the acceleration of a bigger block?

The acceleration of a bigger block can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on the block by its mass. This can be determined by using the equation a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the mass of the block.

4. How do you calculate the net force on a bigger block?

The net force on a bigger block can be calculated by adding up all the individual forces acting on the block. These forces can include gravity, normal force, friction, and any applied forces.

5. Can you use the same force equation for a bigger block as a smaller block?

Yes, the force equation F = ma can be used for both bigger and smaller blocks as long as the mass and acceleration are calculated correctly. However, the forces acting on the blocks may differ, so it is important to consider all the individual forces when using the equation.