Can You Solve These Challenging Friction Problems?

• Thread starter Whitebread
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the motorcyclist can emerge from the sandy stretch without having to start the engine if the sand lasts for 15m. If so, the motorcyclist will emerge at a speed of 20m/s.
Whitebread
I don't know how to solve these questions and I was wondering if anyone here could help me

First question
The coefficient of static friction between hard rubber and normal street pavement is about .8. On how steep a hill (maximum angle) can you leave a car parked?

Last one
A motorcyclist is coasting with the engine off at a steady speed of 20m/s but enters a sandy stretch where the coefficient of friction is .80. Will the cyclist emerge from the sandy stretch without having to start the engine if the sand lasts for 15m? If so, what will be the speed upon emerging?

Could the person not give me the answer, but show me how it's done? I would be VERY greatful (preferably with a sum of forces in X and Y directions as I find that easier to understand, but I feel inconsiderate at this point so it's not necessary). Thank you.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First: if you use breaks then you have that the maximum static force is given by
[tex]\mu N\cos\vartheta[/tex]
and the parallel to street component of the car weight N is
[tex]N sen\vartheta[/tex]
You start to move when the second is bigger than the first, so the maximum angle is given by
[tex]Nsen\vartheta=\mu N\cos\vartheta\Rightarrow\tan\vartheta=\mu\Rightarrow\vartheta=\arctan\mu[/tex]

Second: you must use the Newton´s law. Acceleration equals force so that if [tex]x[/tex] is space then speed and acceleration are [tex]\dot{x}[/tex] and [tex]\ddot{x}[/tex] where the dots mean derivation in time. If [tex]\mu[/tex] is the friction coefficient the Newton´s law gives
[tex]m\ddot{x}=-\mu mg\rightarrow\ddot{x}=-\mu g[/tex]
where g=9,81
You must integrate two times in dt with the conditions
[tex]\dot{x}_0=V_0[/tex]
[tex]x_0=0[/tex]
So you find
[tex]\dot{x}=V_0-\mu gt[/tex]
Then you stop after a time
[tex]t=\frac{V_0}{\mu g}[/tex]
and
[tex]x=V_0t-1/2\mu gt^2[/tex]
in which you must substitute the t found. So you find if x is longer than the sand or not.
Bye

Last edited:
Then, to find the speed upon emerging you must substitute the sand length [15 m] in the x formula, and find the time you need to emerge from the sand. When you find this you substitute this t in the speed formula ([tex]\dot{x}[/tex]) and find the emerging speed.
And you hav finished all the problems.

Thank you very much!

Related to Can You Solve These Challenging Friction Problems?

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of objects that come into contact with each other.

2. How does friction affect motion?

Friction can either slow down or completely stop the motion of an object. It also affects the energy efficiency of machines and can cause wear and tear on surfaces.

3. What are the different types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, which prevents an object from moving on a surface; kinetic friction, which acts on moving objects; and fluid friction, which occurs in fluids such as air or water.

4. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, to create a smooth surface between two objects in contact. Additionally, using materials with lower friction coefficients or reducing the weight of an object can also help reduce friction.

5. How does friction impact everyday life?

Friction plays a significant role in our daily lives, from the way we walk to the functioning of machines and vehicles. It also helps us perform tasks such as writing, gripping objects, and driving safely on roads with proper tire friction.