Help on Continuity - Finding Nonremovable & Removable Discontinuities

• Thread starter EasyStyle4747
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Continuity
In summary, discontinuities can be classified as removable or non-removable. Non-removable discontinuities can only be fixed by redefining the discontinuous 'point' while removable discontinuities can be fixed by either redefining the discontinuous 'point' or by removing the discontinuity from the graph.
EasyStyle4747
Help on continuity!

1) Ok, i know how to find x, but how do you know if something is nonremovable or removable discontinuity?
like for this:

f(x)=|x+2|/(x+2)

i knoe its x=-2, but is it nonremovable or removable?

2) How do u do the continuity stuff with there:

f(x)=csc2x

f(x)=tan(pi*x/2)

Plz try to explain in simple terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just to get the ball rolling but think about lim(x->-2+) |x+2|/(x+2) and lim(x->-2-) |x+2| / (x+2).

EasyStyle4747 said:
1) Ok, i know how to find x, but how do you know if something is nonremovable or removable discontinuity?
like for this:

f(x)=|x+2|/(x+2)

i knoe its x=-2, but is it nonremovable or removable?
[/quote]
Knowing the definition would be a good start. What is the definition of "removable discontinuity"?

2) How do u do the continuity stuff with there:

f(x)=csc2x

f(x)=tan(pi*x/2)

Plz try to explain in simple terms.

What do YOU mean by "do the continuity stuff"?

I'm not an expert in this but perhaps the following explanation may help.

Removeable discontinuity occurs when the discontinuous 'point' or gap can be redefined to make the graph continuous. Such as if f(x)=x occurs but is undefined at x=3 (possibly due to a set interval). If you define f(x) at x=3 as 3 (as the regular function f(x)=x woild pass through point (3,3) you could 'remove' the discontinuity from the graph.

As another explanation, removeable discontinuity generally occurs when a limit at the discontinuous 'point' exists, meaning that
lim f(x) = lim f (x)
x->c+ x->c-
and furthermore that f(x) approaches a definite real number as x approaches c ( F(x) should not be appreaching + or - infinity.

Non-removable discontinuity exists when the discontinuous 'point' in the function cannot be redefined to make the graph continuous. This occurs mainly when a major gap exists as the discontinuity, when
lim f(x) and lim f (x) are not equal, or
x->c+ x->c-
in other words, f(x) does not approach the same limit when c is approached from the left and when c is approached from the right.

I don't know how efficient my explanation is, but i hope it helps.

1. What is a nonremovable discontinuity?

A nonremovable discontinuity, also known as an essential discontinuity, refers to a point on a graph where a function is undefined or does not exist. This can occur when there is a vertical asymptote, a hole, or a jump in the graph. It is called "nonremovable" because the discontinuity cannot be eliminated by simply redefining the function at that point.

2. How do you identify a nonremovable discontinuity?

To identify a nonremovable discontinuity, look for points on the graph where the function is undefined or has a vertical asymptote. These points will appear as breaks or gaps in the graph.

3. What is a removable discontinuity?

A removable discontinuity, also known as a removable singularity, is a point on a graph where a function is undefined, but it can be made continuous by redefining the function at that point. This often occurs when there is a hole in the graph.

4. How do you find removable discontinuities?

To find removable discontinuities, look for points on the graph where the function has a hole or removable singularity. These points will appear as isolated points on the graph, surrounded by a continuous line.

5. How do you determine if a point is a nonremovable or removable discontinuity?

The easiest way to determine if a point is a nonremovable or removable discontinuity is to try to redefine the function at that point. If the discontinuity disappears, it is a removable discontinuity. If the discontinuity remains, it is a nonremovable discontinuity.