Calculating Stopping Potential in Photoelectric Effect Experiment

In summary, the conversation discussed the photoelectric effect in quantum physics. The question was about calculating the stopping potential for all electrons to reach the anode when light of wavelength 420nm is incident on a sodium sample with a work function of 3.67*10-19 J. The solution involved using Einstein's photoelectric equation and converting the wavelength to frequency. There was some confusion about the result being negative, but it was clarified and the potential difference for stopping the electrons was found to be a simple calculation using the kinetic energy. The conversation ended with a mention of Schrodinger's wave mechanics.
ghostbuster25
HELP! photoelectric effect

Ok guys got a question on quantum physics - photoelectric effect i want to run past you before i attempt a solution.

The question is as follows;

In a photoelectric-effect experiment, light of wavelength 420nm is incident on a sample of sodium. The work function of sodium is 3.67*10-19 J.
Calculate the stopping potential required to stop all electrons from reaching the anode.

Ok so I am planig to use einsteins photoelectric equation of 1/2 mev2 = hf-psi(as in work function)
Im guessing i need to convert the wavelength to frequency so have come up with the solution 7.137915667e11

so this in the equation gives me 6.63*10-34 * 7.14285713*1014 - 3.67*10-19 J = n = -3.665267562

So this is the result of the maximum kinetic energy E of the electrons.
I am a bit worried as my result is a minus! which i imagine is impossible

after that i believe i am to work out the potential differnence to stop the electrons.

That i am a bit unclear on how to do so any help would be much appreiciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org

You have miscalculated the KE of the electrons. It is

6.63*10-34 * 7.14*1014 - 3.67*10-19 =1.07*10-19

ehild

ahhh ok thanks :)

for the potential differnce is it just KE=eV and therefore i need a force of the opposite charge to stop the electrons...this right? is this question that simple?

Yes. it is that simple :)

ehild

sweeeeet thanks :)

any good at schrodingers wave mechanics ha ha :)

Related to Calculating Stopping Potential in Photoelectric Effect Experiment

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is the phenomenon in which electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to light of a certain frequency. This was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887.

Who discovered the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect was first observed by Heinrich Hertz in 1887. However, the effect was further studied and explained by Albert Einstein in 1905.

How does the photoelectric effect work?

The photoelectric effect occurs when a photon of light strikes a material and transfers its energy to an electron, causing it to be emitted from the material. The energy of the photon must be greater than the work function of the material for this process to occur.

What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect provided evidence for the particle nature of light and led to the development of quantum mechanics. It also has numerous practical applications, such as in solar panels and photocells.

What factors affect the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is affected by the intensity and frequency of the light, as well as the work function and properties of the material. Increasing the intensity of light or using light of higher frequency can increase the number of emitted electrons, while a higher work function or certain properties of the material can make it more difficult for electrons to be emitted.