Help questions on electricity and magnetism

In summary, the conversation discusses questions related to electricity and magnetism. The first question involves finding the frequency of a magnetic field given its magnitude and direction in relation to an electric field. The second question asks for the angle needed to calculate the magnetic flux through a specific area, and the third question involves finding the inductance, time, and maximum current in an RL circuit based on the rate of current change and voltage given. The conversation also offers advice to approach the problems by thinking physically rather than relying on formulas.
supermenscher
help! questions on electricity and magnetism

1. What is the frequency of the magnetic filed if it is know to be perpendicular to the electric field. The magnetic field is 0.00178T and the electric field is 8000V/m.

2. I just need the angle for this one. At a certain location, the Earth's magnetic field has a magnitude of 5.6E-5T and points in a direction that is 72 degrees below the horizontal. Find the magnitued of the magnetic flux through the top of a desk at this location that measures 110cmX73cm.

I know you used magnetic flux = BAcos theta...but what is the angle theta, I tried 72 degrees and 18 degrees, what angle do I use?

3. When the switch is closed in a RL circuit the current in the circuit increases from 0A to 0.22A in 0.15s. This current also has a resistance of 5.5 ohms. What is the inductance L, how long after the switch is closed does the current have a value of 0.41A, and what is the maximum current that flows in the cirucit.

I have tried this problem using every formula possible and still can't get it...can someone help me out, even to get me started? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I want to know if in problem 3 you're forgetting the voltage (emf).

wisky40

Yes, sorry the voltage is 9.0V

I have tried this problem using every formula possible and still can't get it...can someone help me out, even to get me started?

I think your problems start from there. Stop thinking in formulas and start thinking physically. You are given the rate the current changes. Changing current causes a changing magnetic field (Hint: think faraday's law).

1. What is the difference between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are two closely related phenomena. Electricity is the flow of electrons, while magnetism is the force that attracts or repels objects with an electric charge. In simpler terms, electricity is the movement of charged particles, while magnetism is the interaction between those charged particles.

2. How do electricity and magnetism work together?

Electricity and magnetism are often described as two sides of the same coin. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. Similarly, a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a nearby wire. This relationship between electricity and magnetism is known as electromagnetism and is the basis for many modern technologies, such as generators and motors.

3. What are some real-world applications of electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism have numerous practical applications in our daily lives. Some examples include powering electronic devices, such as phones and computers, through the use of electricity. Magnets are used in MRI machines for medical imaging, and electromagnets are used in cranes and trains for lifting and propulsion.

4. How is electricity produced?

Electricity can be produced in several ways, but the most common method is through the use of generators. Generators convert mechanical energy into electrical energy by rotating a coil of wire in a magnetic field. This movement induces an electric current in the wire, which can then be harnessed to power electrical devices.

5. What is the relationship between electricity and voltage?

Electricity and voltage are closely related concepts. Voltage is the measure of the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. In other words, it is the force that pushes electrons through a circuit. Without voltage, there can be no electric current. Therefore, electricity is the flow of electrons caused by a difference in voltage.