Understanding Newton's Laws: Solving Physics Problems with Ease

In summary: But in summary, the net force on the car is 0 and the car's acceleration is also 0 since it's moving at a constant speed. For the second question, the forward force produced by the action of the car's engine and drive train is -300lbs.
celtchic
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I've had physics. I can catch on quickly once pushed in the right direction but a friend is in a college level physics class that I once had and she needs help. I've tried to answer some questions but I don't know if my logic is right, or if I'm even close. Please help me figure out how to help her with this problem:

A car that weighs 3200 lbs is traveling at a constant 68mph down a piece of straight, flat interstate highway. Use Newton's 1st Law to calculate the net force on the car. Use Newton's 2nd Law to calculate the car's acceleration.

My thinking is this: The net force is 0 because there is no force acting against the car. Am I wrong in thinking this? Should the net force be 3200 lbs because of gravity? For the second question, I'm assuming the car's acceleration is also 0 because it's moving at a constant speed. Please help correct my thinking. I have the formula acceleration = force/mass.

Second question: In the above problem, the force of air drag on the car is 300lbs. What is the forward force produced by the action of the car's engine and drive train?

My thinking is this: the forward force is -300lbs. I know I'm totally wrong I just want to start somewhere.

Please help. I made an A in Physics two years ago but now I need a refresher course and I'd like to be able to help my friend with these questions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me that you have it pretty well under control. You may want to consider the direction the forces are acting. That 3200lb acts down there is a equal reaction force acting up so your net Y force and there for acceleration is 0

You are correct since the speed is constant the X acceleration is also 0.

To hold a constant speed the car must balance the drag force so will provide and equal and opposite force. The algebraic sign will dependend upon your choise of coordinate system.

I confess that that first problem sounds very strange. If you are told that the car is "traveling at a constant 68mph down a piece of straight, flat interstate highway", you shoudn't need to use "Newton's second law" to determine that the acceleration is 0!

Now, the fact that the acceleration is 0 tells us that the NET force is 0 but that may be because of opposing forces- the air resistance and the wheels force on the road. You say that you are given that the air resistance force is 300 lbs and say that, therefore, the force forward is -300 lbs. That looks fine to me. You may be concerned about that "-" for a forward force.

Well, you were given +300 for a backward force so that may be the way they are taking the coordinate system! Another possibiity is that they are just talking about the magnitude of the force and expect "300 lbs." as the answer.

Well the net force is zero, since the car continues to move at a constant rate. If there were a net force, there would be acceleration. So, there is no net force and no acceleration. It's worded strangely with the references to Newton's laws..

What does "help refresh my memory" mean?

"Help refresh my memory" is a request for assistance in recalling information that has been previously learned or experienced. It is a way of asking for a reminder or clarification about something that may have been forgotten.

Why is refreshing our memory important?

Refreshing our memory allows us to recall important information, which can be useful in problem-solving, decision making, and learning new things. It also helps us to retain knowledge and improve our overall cognitive abilities.

How can I refresh my memory effectively?

There are several techniques that can help you refresh your memory effectively. These include repetition, association, visualization, and using memory aids such as notes or mnemonic devices. It is also important to get enough rest, exercise, and proper nutrition to support cognitive function.

What are some common causes of memory lapses?

Memory lapses can be caused by a variety of factors such as stress, fatigue, aging, and certain medical conditions. Other factors that can contribute to memory lapses include lack of attention or interest in the information, distractions, and information overload.

Can memory be improved or trained?

Yes, memory can be improved and trained through various techniques such as practicing mindfulness, engaging in memory exercises, and adopting healthy lifestyle habits. It is also important to challenge and stimulate the brain with new and challenging tasks to keep it active and improve memory function.