Help! Troubleshooting Nuclear Decay Equations

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of finding a missing isotope, specifically Iodine-127 (n, alpha). The poster's initial answer was incorrect and they were struggling with understanding how to find the number of alpha and beta decay reactions without given a half-life. They also mentioned having trouble applying nuclear decay reactions and understanding the differences between alpha, beta, and gamma particles. The conversation ended with the poster asking for help and clarification on the concept of (n, alpha) reactions and the possibility of receiving further assistance.
MWad
I'm sorry for posting this another thread, but I accidentally posted under to wrong forum initially and could not figure out how to delete it :-(1. Homework Statement

Find the missing isotope: Iodine-127 (n, alpha)
My answer is Sb- 122 but it was wrong.

Also, how would I go about finding the number of alpha and (negative) beta decay reactions needed to reduce an isotope, if I am not given half life? Please help! I know I am probably making it harder than it has to be!

Homework Equations

I am having a bit of trouble applying nuclear decay reactions. I understand the differences between alpha, beta, and gamma, but cannot seem to solve the equations 100% of the time. I do not know how I would type out alpha, beta, and gamma here, though. So I will just say that given alpha, I know to subtract, and Beta can be positive or negative. Gamma has no addition or subtraction.

The Attempt at a Solution

I wonder if I am just not comprehending what (n,alpha) means. Set up in a way to identify the particles is easy for me, though. As for the question pertaining to the cascade, we never reviewed a problem like that and therefore I would really appreciate someone just offering me a starting point. [/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
MWad said:
I'm sorry for posting this another thread, but I accidentally posted under to wrong forum initially and could not figure out how to delete it :-(1. Homework Statement

Find the missing isotope: Iodine-127 (n, alpha)
My answer is Sb- 122 but it was wrong.

Also, how would I go about finding the number of alpha and (negative) beta decay reactions needed to reduce an isotope, if I am not given half life? Please help! I know I am probably making it harder than it has to be!
2. Homework Equations I am having a bit of trouble applying nuclear decay reactions. I understand the differences between alpha, beta, and gamma, but cannot seem to solve the equations 100% of the time. I do not know how I would type out alpha, beta, and gamma here, though. So I will just say that given alpha, I know to subtract, and Beta can be positive or negative. Gamma has no addition or subtraction.3. The Attempt at a Solution

I wonder if I am just not comprehending what (n,alpha) means. Set up in a way to identify the particles is easy for me, though. As for the question pertaining to the cascade, we never reviewed a problem like that and therefore I would really appreciate someone just offering me a starting point.

The reaction: Iodine-127 (n, alpha) is just a shorthand way or writing the following:

127I + n → X + α, or in words

an atom of I-127 when struck by a neutron turns into element X plus one alpha particle.

You have to identify element X and figure out its atomic weight.

[If you want access to certain math and Greek alphabet symbols, hit the ∑ at the end of the toolbar in the Reply Box.]

This post was entered ~ 1-mo ago. Are you still in need of some suggestions? jp

1. How do I know if a nuclear decay equation is balanced?

To check if a nuclear decay equation is balanced, you need to make sure that the number of protons and neutrons on both sides of the equation are equal. Additionally, the total charge (protons minus electrons) and mass number (protons plus neutrons) must also be equal on both sides.

2. What are the different types of nuclear decay and how do they affect the equation?

There are three main types of nuclear decay: alpha, beta, and gamma. Alpha decay involves the emission of an alpha particle (two protons and two neutrons) from the nucleus, causing the atomic number to decrease by 2 and the mass number to decrease by 4. Beta decay involves the emission of a beta particle (an electron or positron) from the nucleus, causing the atomic number to change by 1 and the mass number to remain the same. Gamma decay involves the emission of a gamma ray (high-energy photon) from the nucleus, causing no change to the atomic number or mass number.

3. How do I balance a nuclear decay equation?

To balance a nuclear decay equation, you need to make sure that the number of protons and neutrons on both sides of the equation are equal. You can do this by adjusting the coefficients (numbers in front of the elements) and superscripts (numbers written above and to the left of the element symbol). Remember to also balance the total charge and mass number on both sides.

4. Why is it important to balance nuclear decay equations?

Balancing nuclear decay equations is important because it ensures that the laws of conservation of mass and charge are upheld. This means that the total number of protons, neutrons, and electrons must remain the same before and after the decay, and the total charge and mass number must also remain the same. Balancing the equation also helps to identify the type of decay that is happening and the resulting products.

5. How do I know which element is the parent and which is the daughter in a nuclear decay equation?

The parent element is the one that is undergoing the decay, while the daughter element is the resulting product. In a nuclear decay equation, the parent element is always written on the left side of the arrow, while the daughter element is written on the right side. Additionally, the atomic number of the parent element will always be higher than the atomic number of the daughter element, as the parent element is losing protons during the decay process.