Help: Volume Fluxes and Associated Velocities

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between volume transport, velocity, and area in an ocean current. The formula Q = vA is used to calculate the average velocity of a current when given the volume transport and area, and vice versa. The conversation also clarifies that the question is only about volume, not mass. The final answer is 1 m/s, but it is noted that the approach may not be entirely accurate for a graduate level course.
geojon
Suppose that volume transport of an ocean current is 50 x 10^6 m^3/s. Assume that this volume transport is carried in a current of uniform speed which is 50 km wide and 1 km thick. What is the average velocity of the current?

Suppose that the velocity of a current is 0.2 m/s. Assume that the width and thickness of the current are 50 km and 0.5 km respectively. What is the volume transport associated with this current, in m^3/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
The issue is that I am having a difficult time getting started. I know that velocity is the derivative of speed (or a position with relation to time). I also know that volume transport refers to a mass of water (or water parcel) moving through an area per unit time. What I cannot resolve, is how to relate these variables in order to come up with a formula. The question comes from my graduate level physical oceanography course; I am a transplant to the department (geologist by training). Any help at all would be greatly appreciated? Is my grasp on these terms correct?

Follow the homework layout and post in the correct forum.

Forget about mass, your question is only about volume.

This is the only equation you need:

Q = vA
(volumetric flow rate = velocity * area)

Thank you for your help. I will try moving forward with this equation.

Rearranging the equation Q = v*A to solve for velocity yields the following equation: v = Q/A

Plugging in the numbers we get: v = (50 x 10^6 m^3 s^-1) / (50,000,000 m^2) ...I have converted km to meters at this point

The answer then, is 1 meter/second.

I am not sure of this answer, as this is a graduate level course. The math is not wrong, though; is my approach?

Related to Help: Volume Fluxes and Associated Velocities

1. What is volume flux?

Volume flux is the amount of volume of a substance that flows through a given area per unit time. It is typically measured in units such as cubic meters per second or cubic feet per minute.

2. What are associated velocities?

Associated velocities refer to the velocities that are associated with the volume flux. For example, in a fluid flow, the associated velocities would be the flow velocities at different points in the flow.

3. How is volume flux calculated?

Volume flux is calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the flow by the average flow velocity. This gives the volume of fluid that passes through the area per unit time.

4. What factors affect volume flux?

The factors that affect volume flux include the size and shape of the area through which the fluid is flowing, the velocity of the fluid, and the properties of the fluid such as its viscosity and density.

5. How is volume flux used in scientific research?

Volume flux is an important measurement in many scientific fields, such as fluid dynamics, meteorology, and environmental science. It can help researchers understand the movement of fluids and how they affect different systems, such as weather patterns and ocean currents. Volume flux can also be used to study the transport of substances within a fluid, such as pollutants in a river or nutrients in the ocean.