Force Calculation: Help with Question 8

• Thread starter jjg242
  • Start date
In summary, using the equation for momentum and impulse, with the given values of initial velocity, final velocity, contact time, and mass, the force exerted on the board is 4500 N. This can also be confirmed through the use of the hyperphysics calculator.
jjg242
8. A karate master strikes a board with an initial velocity of 10 m/s, decreasing to 1 m/s as his hand passes through the board. If the time of contact with the board is 0.002 s, and the mass of the coordinated hand and arm is 1 kg, what is the force exerted on the board.

a. 1000 N
b. 1800 N
c. 2700 N
d. 4500 N

- well, I lost my book because my backpack got stolen and I have an older physics book i got from a friend and the pages don't match up with my study guide. I can't find the right equation for this. I need an equation that uses change in velocity, contact time, and mass of the object to get F in Newtons. If anyone can show me how I do this or at least point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum=Impulse

mv=Ft

laminar said:
Momentum=Impulse

mv=Ft

so...

m = mass
v= change in velocity?
F= force in N
t= time

is v the initial, final, or change in velocity?

if it is change in velocity, then i get:

9*1/0.002 = 4500 N

Is this right?

Last edited:
bump. any feedback appreciated.

Related to Force Calculation: Help with Question 8

1. What is force calculation?

Force calculation is the process of determining the amount of force that is required to move an object or cause a change in its motion. It is an essential concept in physics and is used to understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion.

2. How is force calculated?

Force is calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This formula is based on Newton's second law of motion, which states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its mass and the acceleration it experiences.

3. What units are used to measure force?

The SI unit of force is the Newton (N). Other commonly used units include pounds (lbs) and dynes (dyn). In the formula F=ma, the mass is typically measured in kilograms (kg) and the acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s^2).

4. How does force affect motion?

Force is the cause of motion. The greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration and therefore, the greater its change in motion. In the absence of any external forces, an object will remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity.

5. Can forces be negative?

Yes, forces can be negative. A negative force indicates that it is acting in the opposite direction of the positive force. This is known as a resistive force, and it can cause an object to slow down or change direction.