Help with a SDOF system, spring and base?

In summary, the conversation was about solving a step response equation for a displacement scenario, where the displacement of two objects were represented by x and y. The equation used was mx'' = -k(x-y)-c(x'-y'), with x representing the displacement of the seat and y the displacement of the base. The participants discussed the difference between parts a and b, with one person stating that part a was relatively easy. They also mentioned using the step response equation with various values such as F0, zeta, and omega to plot a graph. There was some confusion about the correct equation to use, with one person suggesting using the Laplace transform. Additionally, there was a discussion about the value of tau and how it relates to the
lupinpooter

Homework Statement

f2sxQnk.jpg

Homework Equations

Maybe the step response equation?
XIVzJAw.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really understand the difference between a and b, but he said part a was supposed to be quite easy. Is a just:
mx'' = -k(x-y) - c(x' - y')
or something along those lines? where x represents the displacement of the seat, and y the displacement of the base, so y' = 4cm? or y = 4cm?

Using F0= k * 0.04, and plugging the values into the step response equation, with zeta = c/2m*ωn, and ωn = √ (k/m), and ωd= √(1-ζ2n, I got the graph at the bottom (I think), which makes me assume it's right, without much idea what I put for b. When it says 'develop', does this mean derive the step-response equation? Or just plug in the variables?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you have the right equation for part a.

For part b you should input a step into y(t) at t=0 and solve the diff. equation for x(t). I would use the Laplace transform if you're familiar with it, otherwise you'd have to grind out the classical diff. eq.

I don't know if your "step response equation" is correct. It looks plausible. I would start from scratch rather than use it unless you get a strong indication that that's what's expected of you. What would you do with the tau in it?

oh sorry, (t - tau) would just be t, taking tau=o as the moment that it steps

Last edited:
lupinpooter said:
oh sorry, (t - tau) would just be t, taking tau=o as the moment that it steps

OK, so how about F0? You don't know what that value is ...

Again, I suggest working with your part a equation.
I would let x=0 and y=0 when t<0.

I would first like to commend you for attempting to understand and solve this problem. It shows a dedication to learning and a desire to improve your understanding of the subject matter.

To answer your question, part a of the problem is asking you to derive the equation for the single degree of freedom (SDOF) system, where x represents the displacement of the seat and y represents the displacement of the base. The equation you have written is correct, but I would suggest writing it in terms of acceleration (x'' and y'') instead of displacement. This will make it easier to solve for the unknown variables.

For part b, you are being asked to develop the step response equation for the SDOF system. This means that you need to derive the equation using the parameters given in the problem, such as the mass, spring constant, damping coefficient, and initial displacement. Once you have the equation, you can plug in the values and plot the graph to see the response of the system.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. If you are still having trouble, I suggest seeking help from your teacher or a tutor who can guide you through the steps and provide further explanation. Keep up the good work!

1. What is a SDOF system?

A SDOF (single degree of freedom) system is a simplified model used in engineering and physics to represent a system that has only one independent coordinate or variable that affects its motion. This can include systems such as a mass attached to a spring or a pendulum.

2. How do I calculate the natural frequency of a SDOF system?

The natural frequency of a SDOF system can be calculated using the formula fn = (1/2π)√(k/m), where fn is the natural frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass of the system. This frequency represents the rate at which the system oscillates without any external forces acting upon it.

3. What is the relationship between the spring constant and the natural frequency of a SDOF system?

The spring constant and natural frequency of a SDOF system have a direct relationship. As the spring constant increases, the natural frequency also increases. This means that a stiffer spring will result in a higher natural frequency and a faster oscillation of the system.

4. How does the base or support affect the behavior of a SDOF system?

The base or support of a SDOF system plays a crucial role in its behavior. The stiffness of the base can affect the natural frequency of the system, and the damping of the base can affect the amplitude and rate of decay of the oscillations. A stiffer and more damped base will result in a higher natural frequency and faster decay of oscillations.

5. What are the practical applications of using a SDOF system in engineering?

SDOF systems are commonly used in engineering to model and analyze the behavior of structures such as buildings, bridges, and machines. They provide a simplified yet accurate representation of these complex systems, allowing engineers to understand and predict their response to external forces. SDOF systems are also used in designing shock absorbers, vibration isolators, and other mechanical components.