Help with a simple algebra problem

• B
  • Thread starter MartinJH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary: You just need to rearrange the terms a bit. Keep in mind that when you have a fraction in the form a/b, it is equivalent to a*b^-1. So in this case, the original answer of -3s^2/1-6s can be rewritten as (-3s^2)*(1/1-6s) which simplifies to 3s^2/6s-1.
MartinJH
Hi

I'm trying to solve;
t / 2t-s = 3s
for t
the answer I get is; t = -3s^2/1-6s. However, the answer given is; 3s^2/6s-1

The steps I use are;
t = 3s(2t - s)
t = 6st - 3s^2
t - 6st = -3s^2
t(1 - 6s) = -3s^2
t = 3s^2 / 1 - 6s

If someone could point out where I'm going wrong that would be great, thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
MartinJH said:
Hi

I'm trying to solve;
t / 2t-s = 3s
for t

The steps I use are;
t = 3s(2t - s)
t = 6st - 3s^2
t - 6st = -3s^2
t(1 - 6s) = -3s^2
Here. You switched the sign on the right but not on the left.
t = 3s^2 / 1 - 6s

If someone could point out where I'm going wrong that would be great, thank you.

MartinJH said:
I'm trying to solve;
t / 2t-s = 3s
for t
Use parentheses! When you write mathematical expressions on a single line, and have fractions with numerators or denominators that have multiple terms, you absolutely need to use parentheses.

Textbooks can have things like ##\frac t {2t - s}##, where it's clear which terms are in the denominator, but when you write t/2t - s, it really means ##\frac t 2 t - s##, which is probably not what you meant.
Also, what you wrote as 3s^2/1 - 6s would reasonably be interpreted to mean ##3\frac {s^2} 1 - 6s.

I used LaTeX for format the two expressions. If you don't use LaTeX (we have a very good tutorial here -- https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/), the equation you started with should be written as t/(2t - s) = 3s, and the solution you got should be written as t = 3s^2/(1 - 6s).

Likes MartinJH
MartinJH said:
Hi

I'm trying to solve;
t / 2t-s = 3s
for t

Those are the same answer.

Likes mfb

What is a simple algebra problem?

A simple algebra problem is an equation or expression that contains variables (usually represented by letters) and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. The goal is to find the value of the variable(s) in the equation.

Why do I need help with a simple algebra problem?

Algebra can be challenging for some people due to its abstract nature and the use of symbols and letters. Additionally, there are certain rules and formulas that need to be followed to solve algebra problems correctly. Seeking help can provide clarity and guidance in solving these problems.

How do I solve a simple algebra problem?

The key to solving a simple algebra problem is to isolate the variable by using inverse operations. This means performing the opposite operation on both sides of the equation to cancel out any numbers or terms until the variable is left alone on one side of the equation. It is also important to follow the correct order of operations.

What are some common mistakes in solving simple algebra problems?

One common mistake is not following the correct order of operations, also known as PEMDAS (Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction). Another mistake is not applying inverse operations correctly or forgetting to perform them on both sides of the equation. It is also important to pay attention to signs and keep track of negative numbers.

Where can I find more resources for help with simple algebra problems?

There are many online resources available for help with simple algebra problems, such as tutorial videos, practice problems, and interactive lessons. You can also seek help from a math tutor, teacher, or classmate. It is also helpful to practice regularly and ask for clarification when needed.