Integrating y=7tecost: Tips and Tricks for Solving AP Free Response Problems

• Thread starter stonecoldgen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses an AP free response question about integrating a function with respect to t. The poster attempted to use U substitution but it did not work. They then mention a possible solution using $$\int (7\sin t) e^{\cos t}\, dt$$ and discuss the possibility of using a calculator or computer for a definite integral. It is noted that the original post did not provide a definite integral, allowing for the use of numerical routines such as Trapezoidal or Simpson's rules.
stonecoldgen

Homework Statement

This is one of these AP free response questions divided into a,b,c,d,etc. but I am just going to ask for a small part of the problem.

I need to integrate y=7tecost

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using U substitution but it didn't work. I tried things like the following:

Integrate with respect to t (dt).

make ecost=u and t=-cosln(t)

but it seems I am complicating my life. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
I would feel very safe telling you there is no elementary antiderivative for that function. My best guess would be it was supposed to be$$
\int (7\sin t) e^{\cos t}\, dt$$which would be straightforward.

LCKurtz said:
I would feel very safe telling you there is no elementary antiderivative for that function. My best guess would be it was supposed to be$$
\int (7\sin t) e^{\cos t}\, dt$$which would be straightforward.

Yeah, I researched a bit around and for some reason this can only be done with a calculator (definite integral).

Wonder how the computer/calculator does it actually.

This was from the 2010 AP Calculus AB test

stonecoldgen said:
Yeah, I researched a bit around and for some reason this can only be done with a calculator (definite integral).

Wonder how the computer/calculator does it actually.

This was from the 2010 AP Calculus AB test

Well, your original post did not give a definite integral. That opens the door to numerical routines such as Trapezoidal or Simpson's rules.

Related to Integrating y=7tecost: Tips and Tricks for Solving AP Free Response Problems

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a specific interval.

2. Why do we need help with integrals?

Integrals can be complex and require advanced mathematical knowledge to solve. It is common for people to seek help with integrals because they may not understand the concept or know how to solve them.

3. How do I solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. These techniques involve manipulating the integral to make it easier to solve.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

Yes, there are many online calculators and software programs that can solve integrals. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of integrals and their properties before relying on a calculator.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving integrals include forgetting to add the constant of integration, using the incorrect integration technique, or making algebraic errors. It is important to double-check your work and be familiar with the integration rules to avoid these mistakes.