Integrating sqrt(x^2+y^2) over Circle (x-1)^2+y^2<=1 using Polar Coordinates

• Thread starter eoghan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral of the function sqrt(x^2+y^2) over the circle (x-1)^2+y^2<=1 can be calculated using polar coordinates. By setting rho to go from 0 to 2cos(theta) and theta from 0 to 2pi, the result of the integral is 0. It is correct due to the geometric meaning of the integral.
eoghan
Hi there!
I have to calculate the integral of the function sqrt(x^2+y^2) over the circle (x-1)^2+y^2<=1

I use polar coordinates: rho goes from 0 to 2cos(theta) and theta goes from 0 to 2pi.
My result is that the integral is 0... is it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yea I did it and got 0 because you end up integrating [itex]\cos(\theta)^3[/itex] at the end, which is 0.

eohgan, if you think about what the geometric meaning of the integral is, it should be clear as to why your answer is zero.

eoghan said:
Hi there!
I have to calculate the integral of the function sqrt(x^2+y^2) over the circle (x-1)^2+y^2<=1

I use polar coordinates: rho goes from 0 to 2cos(theta) and theta goes from 0 to 2pi.
My result is that the integral is 0... is it right?

Hi eoghan! :smile:

erm … doesn't theta go from -π/2 to π/2? :redface:

What is an integral and why is it important?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is important because it allows us to calculate the area under a curve, which is useful in many real-world applications such as physics, engineering, and economics.

How do I solve an integral?

Solving an integral involves using mathematical techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, or trigonometric identities. It is important to understand the fundamental principles and rules of integration to successfully solve an integral.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, representing the area under a curve between those limits. An indefinite integral does not have limits and represents the general antiderivative of a function.

What are some common mistakes when solving integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving integrals include forgetting to use the chain rule, using incorrect limits of integration, and making mistakes in algebraic manipulations. It is important to double-check your work and be aware of common pitfalls when solving integrals.

How can I check if my solution to an integral is correct?

One way to check the correctness of your solution is to differentiate it and see if you get back the original function. You can also use online tools or graphing calculators to visualize the area under the curve and compare it to your solution.