Help with classical mechanics question

In summary: The mass of the parent nucleus is 20mu not 10mu. This makes a difference in the calculation of the final kinetic energy.
henryc09

Homework Statement

A nucleus of mass 20mu (where mu is the atomic mass unit 1.66*10^-27) is moving with a velocity of 3*10^6 ms^-1 when it breaks into two fragments. In the course of this process internal energy is released from within the nucleus and the kinetic energy consequently increases by an amount [tex]\Delta[/tex]E=10^-12J. The heavier fragment has mass 16mu and is emitted at 90o to the original line of flight. What is the speed of the lighter fragment? (since the energy released is small compared with the rest-mass energy of the nucleus you may assume that mass is conserved and that both fragments remain non-relativistic)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The part confusing me is whether or not you can assume momentum is conserved, ie. does the release of internal energy count as an "external" force or not? If you assume that momentum is conserved my attempt at the solution is:

Initial KE= 0.5*10mu*(3*10^6)^2 = 1.494*10^-13J
so the final KE of the system is this + 10^-12J which equals 1.1494 * 10^-12J

which means that 16mu*v1^2 + 4mu*v2^2 = 1.1494*10^-12J

Initial momentum of system is 3*10^6*20mu = 9.96*10^-20 kgms^-1

if we say that the nucleus is initially moving to the right, and the larger fragment moves upwards after the "break", the velocity of the smaller fragment would have to be south east.

The vertical component of v2 would equal 16mu*v1 / 4mu so that the overall momentum in the vertical plane remains 0, and the horizontal component would equal 9.96*10^-20 / 4mu (which is 1.5*10^7ms^-1) so that the momentum to the right of the system is the same as before. This means that v2 = [tex]\sqrt{}(1.5*10^7)^2+(4muv1)^2[/tex] however when you substitute that back into the equation for KE and try to solve for v1 you get a math error as v1^2 = a minus number.

If I am wrong with assuming that momentum is conserved then I am unsure as to how to go about solving this problem as surely the change in momentum could be in any direction and so it would not be possible to work out the speed of the smaller fragment.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is always conserved in a closed system-that is, if there are no external forces that could effect the situation. Hope that helps!

Momentum is indeed conserved. The force that one fragment exerts on the other is equal and opposite to the force that is exerted on it by the other. The two forces are internal to the two fragment system.

Why do you say that the initial kinetic energy is

KE= 0.5*10mu*(3*10^6)^2 ?

The mass of the parent nucleus is 20mu not 10mu. Would that make a difference?

ok well now that I know that for sure I think I'll get there eventually. That was actually just a typo from me but I expect I've just made a mistake somewhere in the calculation and will go over it. Thanks!

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects under the influence of forces. It was developed by Isaac Newton in the 17th century and is based on his three laws of motion.

2. What are the main principles of classical mechanics?

The main principles of classical mechanics include Newton's three laws of motion, the law of conservation of energy, and the principle of least action. These principles govern the behavior of objects in motion and can be used to predict their future motion.

3. How is classical mechanics different from quantum mechanics?

Classical mechanics describes the behavior of macroscopic objects, while quantum mechanics describes the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level. Classical mechanics is deterministic, meaning that the future behavior of a system can be predicted with certainty, while quantum mechanics is probabilistic, meaning that the future behavior of a system can only be predicted with a certain degree of probability.

4. What are some practical applications of classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics has many practical applications in everyday life, such as in the design and operation of machines, vehicles, and structures. It is also used in fields such as engineering, architecture, and aerospace to solve problems related to motion and forces.

5. How can I improve my understanding of classical mechanics?

To improve your understanding of classical mechanics, it is important to practice solving problems and working through examples. Additionally, reading textbooks and attending lectures or online courses can also help deepen your understanding of the principles and concepts of classical mechanics.