Help with Derivatives Homework: Calc II

• Thread starter Ryuk1990
  • Start date
In summary, the expressions, "eln2x", "sin6xcsc6x", and "sin2x/3 + cos2x/3" can all be simplified using the product rule. For number 3, the answer is -6x-2sin(x/3) + -6x-2cos(x/3).
Ryuk1990

Homework Statement

I need help differentiating these expressions. I'm taking Calc II right now so I'm reviewing the stuff I forgot how to do.

1.) eln2x

2.) sin6xcsc6x

3.) sin2x/3 + cos2x/3

The Attempt at a Solution

1.) This is 2. I know the ln cancels the power so it's simplified to 2x. What if the ln and e switched places? Would it still cancel out to 2x?

2.) I have no idea how to approach this problem. The answer is supposed to be 0. Do I use the product rule?

3.) I also don't know how to approach this problem. Are there any trig identities needed to know on how to solve this? The answer should be 0.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remembering your trig identities would certainly help you do these problems quickly. But they are certainly unnecessary for simply doing the problems; you can just differentiate like you normally would.

I'm not getting them. I'm trying to use the product rule for 2. I get an answer of 6cos6xcsc6x - 6csc6xcot6xsin6x. I must be doing something wrong because I have no idea how that would simplify to 0.

For number 3, I get -6x-2sin(x/3) + -6x-2cos(x/3)

Your result for #2 looks accurate; I'll assume you did the work correctly.

While it doesn't prove it simplifies to zero, you could always plug in values for x to see if it evaluates to zero, to gain a little bit of confidence in it.

Incidentally, when simplifying trig functions, I often find it convenient to turn everything into sines and cosines -- or even just sines (or just cosines) if possible. This removes a lot of redundancy, and the algebraic identities satisfied by the sine and cosine are, IMO, a lot simpler and easier to recognize/apply than the other ones.

For #3, could you show your work? I'm having great trouble trying to guess what you did.

#1:
If you were to switch the ln and the e I don't believe they would cancel out. If you are ever unsure about this property just realize that if you have y = ex then x = lny, so if you sub this back into the original you are left with y = elny which basically proves the statement. That's the way I always like to think about it.​
#2:
Like Hurkyl said, you should definitely look at the the trig identities, they will make your life much easier and in the long run there will be less things you have to remember because all the trig identities are really just based on the identities that deal with sin, cos, and tan.​
#3:
Like with #2 I recommend using the trig identities. However if you want to push through it and differentiate, you must remember to use the chain rule. If, for example you had a function and it was f(x) = cos2(x3/3), then our derivative would be -2x2cos(x3/3)sin(x3/3). I hope that refreshes your memory to the chain rule.​

NOTE: It's extremely importannt to know at least the basic trig identities (you can work your way to the more difficult ones from these) so here is a link: http://www.sosmath.com/trig/Trig5/trig5/trig5.html. I suggest you look through them, but don't necessarily memorize them (there's a lot there). Instead remember the first 2 parts, and then prove the rest of them. Reason I say this is because (I'm assuming you're doing Calc II in uni.) in Calc II or any future calc courses simplifying is going to save you a LOT of time.

e^ln(x) = x ;
ln(e^x) = x*ln(e) = x ;

csc(x) = 1/sin(x) ;
sec(x) = 1/cos(x) ;

cos(x)^2 + sin(x)^2 = 1 ;
1 + tan(x)^2 = sec(x)^2 ;
cot(x)^2 + 1 = csc(x)^2

*be sure you memorized the above!
good luck :)

1. What is the purpose of studying derivatives in Calc II?

In Calc II, you will learn more advanced techniques for finding derivatives of functions. This is important because derivatives are used in many areas of science and engineering to model and analyze real-world situations. Understanding derivatives will also lay the foundation for more complex mathematical concepts.

2. How can I improve my understanding of derivatives in Calc II?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of derivatives is to practice regularly. Make sure to complete all homework assignments and try to solve additional problems on your own. You can also seek help from your instructor or a tutor if you are struggling with a particular concept.

3. What are some common challenges when working on derivatives in Calc II?

Some students may find it difficult to visualize and understand the geometric interpretation of derivatives. Others may struggle with the algebraic manipulation involved in finding derivatives using the chain rule or product rule. It is important to identify your specific challenges and seek help to overcome them.

4. How can I use derivatives in real-world applications?

Derivatives are used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. For example, in physics, derivatives are used to calculate velocity and acceleration of objects. In economics, derivatives are used to model growth and change in markets. Understanding derivatives can also help you analyze and make predictions about real-world situations.

5. What resources are available for additional help with derivatives in Calc II?

Aside from seeking help from your instructor or a tutor, there are many online resources available to help you with derivatives in Calc II. YouTube channels, online forums, and math help websites often have tutorials and practice problems that can supplement your learning. Additionally, many textbooks have answer keys and online resources for additional practice and clarification of concepts.