Calculating Flux Integral for Cylindrical Portion with Outward Normal Vectors

In summary, the problem involves finding the flux of the vector field <2costheta, sintheta, -3z> across the portion of a cylinder with cylindrical coordinates 0<=z<=3, r=1, and 0<=theta<=pi/2. The surface is oriented with outward normal vectors from the z-axis, and the flux integral is computed using the formula ∫∫SFdS = ∫∫S F (ruxrv)dS. The position vector for any point on the cylinder is given by \vec{r}(\theta, z)= cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}, and the tangent plane is defined by
kthejohn

Homework Statement

Flux integral:
S is the portion of the cylinder with these cylindrical coordinates:
0<=z<=3 r=1 0<=theta<=pi/2

orient S with outward normal vectors from z-axis and compute the flux of F = <2x,y,-3z> across S

Homework Equations

Flux integral ∫∫SFdS = ∫∫S F (ruxrv)dS

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that i should convert double integral but don't know how to get the partial derivs. with respect to r and theta of the portion of the cylinder but i figured out that F should be <2costheta, sintheta, -3z>

Physics news on Phys.org
The cylinder is given by [itex]x= cos(\theta)[/itex], [itex]y= sin(\theta)[/itex], z= z. Any point on the cylinder is given by the "position vector"
[tex]\vec{r}(\theta, z)= cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}+ z\vec{k}[/tex]
The two vectors
[tex]\vec{r}_\theta= -sin(\theta)\vec{i}+ cos(\theta)\vec{j}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{r}_z= \vec{k}[/tex]
are in the tangent plane at every point on the cylinder.

Their cross product,
[tex]cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j}[/tex]
also called the "fundamental vector product" for the surface, gives the "vector differential of surface area:
[tex]d\vec{S}= \vec{n}dS= (cos(\theta)\vec{i}+ sin(\theta)\vec{j})d\theta dz[/tex]

Integrate the dot product of the flux vector with that.

1. What is the purpose of calculating a flux integral for a cylindrical portion?

The purpose of calculating a flux integral for a cylindrical portion is to determine the flow of a vector field through a specific surface. This can be useful in various scientific fields, such as fluid dynamics and electromagnetism.

2. How do you calculate the flux integral for a cylindrical portion?

To calculate the flux integral, you need to first define the surface of the cylindrical portion and its outward normal vectors. Then, you can use the formula for flux integral: Flux = ∫∫S F⃗ · dS⃗, where F⃗ is the vector field and dS⃗ is the infinitesimal surface element. This integral can be evaluated using various mathematical techniques, such as using Green's theorem or converting it into a line integral.

3. What is the significance of outward normal vectors in calculating the flux integral for a cylindrical portion?

Outward normal vectors are crucial in determining the direction of flow through the surface of a cylindrical portion. They help in defining the orientation of the surface and help in accurately calculating the flux integral. Without considering the direction of flow, the result of the flux integral may be incorrect.

4. Can the flux integral for a cylindrical portion be negative?

Yes, the flux integral for a cylindrical portion can be negative. This indicates that the flow of the vector field is in the opposite direction of the outward normal vectors. It is important to pay attention to the sign of the result and interpret it correctly in the context of the problem.

5. What are some real-life applications of calculating flux integrals for cylindrical portions?

Flux integrals for cylindrical portions have various applications in different fields of science and engineering. For example, in fluid dynamics, they can be used to calculate the flow of a fluid through a cylindrical pipe. In electromagnetism, they can help in determining the electric or magnetic flux through a cylindrical surface. They are also used in heat transfer problems, where they can help in calculating the rate of heat flow through a cylindrical surface.