Help with Light Questions: Wavelength, Fringe, Diffraction

• Thread starter Kawrae
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation includes a discussion about a problem involving a helium-neon laser emitting light with a wavelength of 632.8 nm and a circular aperture with a diameter of 0.500 cm. The conversation also includes a second problem involving a single-slit diffraction pattern with a second-order bright fringe 1.50 mm from the center of the central maximum and a screen 80.0 cm away from a slit with a width of 0.600 mm. The approximate wavelength of the light is being calculated in this problem.
Kawrae
Light Questions - Please Help!

I thought I was doing this problem right, but according to webassign I'm not, and I can't figure out what I've done wrong... please help!

1. A helium-neon laser emits light that has a wavelength of 632.8 nm. The circular aperture through which the beam emerges has a diameter of 0.500 cm. Estimate the diameter of the beam 16.0 km from the laser.

>> Here's what I did:
min angle = d/L = .005/16000 = 3.125e-7
min angle = 1.22(lamda/D)
-> min angle/1.22 = lambda/D
3.125e-7/1.22 = 6.328e-7/D
-> 6.328e-7/2.56e-7 = D = 2.47

Not sure why this is wrong... :cry:

2. The second-order bright fringe in a single-slit diffraction pattern is 1.50 mm from the center of the central maximum. The screen is 80.0 cm from a slit of width 0.600 mm. Assuming that the incident light is monochromatic, calculate the light's approximate wavelength.

>> I'm not really sure how to start this at all. I know I'm looking for lambda and that a=6.0e-4m, L=0.800m, m=2

Any ideas??

Physics news on Phys.org
Kawrae said:
I thought I was doing this problem right, but according to webassign I'm not, and I can't figure out what I've done wrong... please help!

1. A helium-neon laser emits light that has a wavelength of 632.8 nm. The circular aperture through which the beam emerges has a diameter of 0.500 cm. Estimate the diameter of the beam 16.0 km from the laser.

>> Here's what I did:
min angle = d/L = .005/16000 = 3.125e-7
min angle = 1.22(lamda/D)
-> min angle/1.22 = lambda/D
3.125e-7/1.22 = 6.328e-7/D
-> 6.328e-7/2.56e-7 = D = 2.47

Not sure why this is wrong... :cry:

2. The second-order bright fringe in a single-slit diffraction pattern is 1.50 mm from the center of the central maximum. The screen is 80.0 cm from a slit of width 0.600 mm. Assuming that the incident light is monochromatic, calculate the light's approximate wavelength.

>> I'm not really sure how to start this at all. I know I'm looking for lambda and that a=6.0e-4m, L=0.800m, m=2

Any ideas??
For the second question, use this formula:

[tex]\lambda = (\frac{x}{L}) (\frac{d}{n-\frac{1}{2}})[/tex]

I plugged in that formula and got a wavelength of 750 nm... which webassign is still saying is wrong...

Ack I am so confused! :eek:

Related to Help with Light Questions: Wavelength, Fringe, Diffraction

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and light color?

The color of light is determined by its wavelength. Shorter wavelengths correspond to blue and violet light, while longer wavelengths correspond to red and orange light. This relationship can be seen in a rainbow, with shorter wavelengths at one end and longer wavelengths at the other.

2. How does diffraction impact the behavior of light?

Diffraction is the bending of light waves around obstacles. This can cause light to spread out or interfere with one another, resulting in patterns such as fringes. Diffraction is also responsible for the phenomenon of rainbows, as light is diffracted by water droplets in the atmosphere.

3. What is the difference between a single-slit and double-slit diffraction?

A single-slit diffraction occurs when light passes through a narrow opening, creating a diffraction pattern with a single bright central fringe and less intense fringes on either side. In contrast, a double-slit diffraction occurs when light passes through two narrow openings close together, resulting in a pattern with multiple bright fringes and dark spaces in between.

4. How does wavelength affect the diffraction pattern?

The diffraction pattern is dependent on the wavelength of light. Shorter wavelengths produce patterns with smaller fringes and greater spacing between them, while longer wavelengths produce patterns with larger fringes and smaller spacing. This is why shorter wavelengths, such as blue light, produce more distinct rainbows compared to longer wavelengths, such as red light.

5. Can light waves interfere with one another?

Yes, light waves can interfere with one another when they meet at a certain point. This can result in constructive interference, where the waves combine to create a larger amplitude, or destructive interference, where the waves cancel each other out. This phenomenon is used in many technologies, such as diffraction gratings, to manipulate light for various purposes.