Help with mass and molar concentrations

• Thread starter ana111790
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, at 37 °C and 1.0 atm of pressure, air is composed of 21.2% O2, 0.15% CO2, and 78.65% N2. Using the molecular weights of each gas, the mass and molar concentrations of O2, CO2, and N2 can be calculated. The ideal gas law is not applicable as V, mass, and number of moles are not given. Assuming V = 1L, the concentrations can be calculated. Alternatively, a formula for concentration can be derived using V as a variable, which will eventually cancel out. The given percentages are not mass percentages and Avogadro's law should be taken into consideration when calculating
ana111790

Homework Statement

At 37 ° C and 1.0 atm of pressure, air is 21.2% O2, 0.15 % CO2 and 78.65 % N2. Determine the mass and molar concentrations of each of the gases in the air.

Homework Equations

Molecular weight of O2=.032kg/L
Molecular weight of N2=.028kg/L
Molecular weight of CO2 = .044kg/L
PV=nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start because I am not given V, mass, or number of moles (so the ideal gas law isn't useful). I am also not sure if the percentages given are in terms of mass/volume/number of moles so I am very confused. How should I approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume V = 1L. Alternatively derive formula for concentration using V as a variable - in the end it will miraculously cancel out. These are not mass percentages (think what Avogadro's law tells you about volume/moles).

What is mass concentration?

Mass concentration, also known as mass/volume concentration, is a measure of the amount of a substance present in a certain volume of a solution. It is usually expressed in units of grams per liter (g/L) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3).

What is molar concentration?

Molar concentration, also known as molarity, is a measure of the amount of a substance present in a certain volume of a solution. It is usually expressed in units of moles per liter (mol/L).

How do you calculate mass concentration?

Mass concentration can be calculated by dividing the mass of the solute (in grams) by the volume of the solution (in liters).

How do you calculate molar concentration?

Molar concentration can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of the solute by the volume of the solution (in liters).

What is the relationship between mass concentration and molar concentration?

Mass concentration and molar concentration are related by the molecular weight of the solute. The molar concentration of a substance is equal to its mass concentration divided by its molecular weight. This means that a solution with a higher molar concentration will also have a higher mass concentration, assuming the same volume of solution.