Help with my unknown in the second organic chemistry

In summary: MW neutral alkene, alkyne, alchohol, ketone, amide, nitro compound, aldehyde, ester, ether.I tried making the 4-nitrobenzoate derivative today with no result(no filtrate) just went straight through vacuum filtration.I'm going to an extra lab tomorrow for another go at it.
laser123
1. Homework Statement
Okay, I just started working on my unknown in Lab and I got stuck with a liquid. First I determined the boiling point, my professor told me to let this step go for 30 minutes and it plateaued at around 147°C. I did this twice the first time I didn't do it as long and got a 140°C reading. Then I did the solubility test in water and found that 3mg of unknown to 1mL of H20(distilled) and it dissolved so it was soluble in water. Is this really uncommon for an unknown to dissolve in water or did i mess up somewhere? I then performed litmus test. Should I be worried.
2. Homework Equations
The textbook. Not applicable

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I did the solubility test twice. Also performed litmus test twice. The litmus test gave me a neutral reading.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It is not clear to me what kind of help do you expect. So far you are just collecting data, you don't know enough yet to tell anything.

Thanks. I was just worried and freaking out that I did something wrong.

I am not saying you didn't. 3 mg in 1 mL of solvent look rather strange to me, I would expect more like 30 mg per 1mL. But I have no idea what is the procedure you are expected to follow, so whatever I think doesn't matter much at this stage.

Oooops you're right.lol. That's what i meant. I read the scale at 0.036g. And then at 0.041g. It felt like I hardly put anything in there.

Hey Borek, thanks for helping. I turned my preliminary in and was right. So it is either a (low MW neutral alkene, alkyne, alchohol, ketone, amide, nitro compound, aldehyde, ester, ether). I have another question though, my professor told me to proof check my boiling point and put a no by it. This is how I determined it: I placed a thermometer about 1 cm above 0.5 mL of the liquid unknown in a test tube. I slowly heated the liquid to boiling. And allowed it to keep going for 30 minutes and obtained my max value and gave it a range of + or - 5 degrees Celsius. I'm confused because this what he told us to do. I thought the boiling point was as soon as it started to bubble, so is he wrong. Or am i just doing something wrong?

You have boiled the liquid for half an hour without condenser, and it didn't run away? Either I don't understand what you wrote or there is something missing from your description, or you are using approach that I have never heard of.

It's best to determine boiling point above the surface of the liquid just beneath the point where
condensation occurs.

Thanks guys, the boiling point was 155°C-165°C which has given me a choice of 6 possible compounds. List compound with respective boiling point in (°C): (+-)-4-Heptanol 156, 1-hexanol 159, cyclohexanol 160, (+-)-2-Heptanol 160, 3-chloro-1-propanol 161, (+-)-cis-2-methylcyclohexanol 165. These have 5 possible derivative we can make. I can only make three due to lack of chemicals in lab(we're poor). Phenylurethane, 4-nitrobenzoate, and 3,5-dinitrobenzoate. My phenylurethane derivative i feel was a disaster because it yield very little product and started to melt at 77, but didn't finish at all, even at 160°C. So I'm guessing that's really impure, which i still don't understand why the melting point is that high for it. The 77°C responds to my 82°C melting point of phenylurethane for cyclohexane. My next derivative 3,5-dinitrobenzoate melted at 103-105°C which i thought was good. This left only one choice because only one of my 6 choice had a melting point higher than that which is the cyclohexanol at 113°C. I tried making the 4-nitrobenzoate derivative today with no result(no filtrate) just went straight through vacuum filtration. I'm going to an extra lab tomorrow for another go at it. From my result do you think it's cyclohexanol or not enough information given. We don't get spectra until we figure out what our unknown is.

p.s Just to clarify, if my compound melting at 103°c the secret compound can only be higher than that melting point. Is that a good rule of thumb.

Thank you,
you guys are amazing

And my solubility test said it was a low MW and neutral too...

Related to Help with my unknown in the second organic chemistry

1. What is the purpose of determining the unknown in second organic chemistry?

The purpose of determining the unknown in second organic chemistry is to identify and classify an organic compound based on its chemical and physical properties. This helps in understanding the structure, behavior, and reactions of the compound, which is crucial in further research and applications in industries such as pharmaceuticals and materials science.

2. How do I determine the unknown in second organic chemistry?

The determination of an unknown in second organic chemistry involves a series of experiments and tests, including spectroscopy, chromatography, and chemical reactions. These techniques help in identifying the functional groups, molecular weight, and other characteristics of the compound, which are used to match with known compounds in databases and reference materials.

3. What factors can affect the determination of unknown in second organic chemistry?

Several factors can affect the determination of unknown in second organic chemistry, including impurities in the sample, experimental errors, and the complexity of the compound. It is essential to ensure accurate measurements and use reliable techniques to minimize these factors and obtain reliable results.

4. Can the determination of unknown in second organic chemistry be automated?

Yes, the determination of unknown in second organic chemistry can be automated using advanced instruments and software. These technologies allow for faster and more accurate analysis of the compound, reducing the time and effort required for manual determination.

5. What are the common applications of determining unknown in second organic chemistry?

The determination of unknown in second organic chemistry has various applications, including drug discovery and development, environmental analysis, and quality control in industries such as food and cosmetics. It is also used in research to study the structure and properties of unknown compounds and their potential applications in various fields.