• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Help with projectile motion-type question

• Thread starter aisha001
  • Start date
1. Homework Statement

A 507.0 g model rocket is resting horizontally at the top edge of a 40.0 m high wall when it is accidentally bumped. The bump pushes it off the edge with a horizontal speed of 0.630 m/s and at the same time causes the engine to ignite. When the engine fires, it exerts a constant 24.1 N horizontal thrust away from the wall. How far from the base of the wall does the rocket land?

I don't know where to start - I am not asking for the answer, just some direction on where to start...

If anyone could help me on this, it would be fantastic. I am pretty much stumped! Thanks!

Last edited:
well being a rocket nut I can't resist, but at the same time the problem is poorly stated IMO. I'm assuming the rocket engine is firing horizontal/edit never mind missed that part.

(However that will not remain so, as the rocket "weathercocks" so the nose is pointed increasingly downward, but I doubt that is intended for consideration)

so set up two velocities as a function of time: one in the x direction, given the initial velocity plus that acceleration privided by the motor and the other in the y. You can figure the time it hits the ground from the latter, ie a bullet shot horizontally from a rifle in theory should hit the ground at the same time as a bullet simply dropped from the height of the barrel. Does that help a little?
John S

Last edited:
How would you solve this if there was no rocket acceleration in the x?