Help with Step Response of an RC circuit

In summary: You should get Vc(t) = i(s)R + (Vo - i(s)R)e^(-t/RC) and i(t) = (Is - (Vo/R))e^(-t/RC). Notice that Vo is negative since the circuit is inverting. That is because the current is flowing from the capacitor to the resistor, and the potential difference across the resistor is pushing the voltage down. In summary, the homework statement is to derive the Voltage and Current equations for Step Response of an RC circuit. The Attempt at a Solution uses KCL to solve for the voltage and current in a hypothetical RC circuit with a current source in parallel with a resistor, which
stau40

Homework Statement

Derive the Voltage and Current equations for Step Response of an RC circuit.

Homework Equations

End products will be Vc(t) = i(s)R + (Vo - i(s)R)e^(-t/RC) and i(t) = (Is - (Vo/R))e^(-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using KCL on a hypotetical RC circuit with a current source in parallel with a resistor, which is parallel to a capacitor, I end up with i(R)+i(c)=i(s) which converts to (V(c)/R) + C(dv/dt) = i(s). After rearranging I get (V(c)/RC) + (d(v)/d(t)) = (i(s)/C) then (d(v)/d(t)) = (i(s)/C) - (V(c)/RC). I am now stumped as to how to procede. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
stau40 said:

Homework Statement

Derive the Voltage and Current equations for Step Response of an RC circuit.

Homework Equations

End products will be Vc(t) = i(s)R + (Vo - i(s)R)e^(-t/RC) and i(t) = (Is - (Vo/R))e^(-t/RC)

The Attempt at a Solution

Using KCL on a hypotetical RC circuit with a current source in parallel with a resistor, which is parallel to a capacitor, I end up with i(R)+i(c)=i(s) which converts to (V(c)/R) + C(dv/dt) = i(s). After rearranging I get (V(c)/RC) + (d(v)/d(t)) = (i(s)/C) then (d(v)/d(t)) = (i(s)/C) - (V(c)/RC). I am now stumped as to how to procede. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

What's i(s)?

I don't think you need to include any source resistance in the problem (if you use a voltage source to drive the RC with the voltage step input). Does the problem tell you to use a current source as the excitation?

The problem doesn't say to use it, but our teacher started us off using a current source in the circuit rather then a voltage source so I continued to use thru the calculations.

But what is i(s)? The source current Is, or some current that is a function of the complex frequency s?

I(s) is the source current.

stau40 said:
I(s) is the source current.

Ok, then you sould probably write it as Is or [tex]I_s[/tex]

Putting parens around it like that makes it look like "I as a function of s".

Anyway, I just re-read your first post, and you are saying that this is a parallel RC? Sorry, I'm confused now. Could you maybe post a sketch?

Using KCL on a hypotetical RC circuit with a current source in parallel with a resistor, which is parallel to a capacitor,

Usually the RC circuit would be a series RC circuit, driven by a step source.

I have attached a copy of my work including a picture of the circuit. I have been trying different methods so a good part of the attached isn't relevent.

Attachments

• HW1_2011-02-07_15.49.19.pdf
    34.2 KB · Views: 277
stau40 said:
I have attached a copy of my work including a picture of the circuit. I have been trying different methods so a good part of the attached isn't relevent.

Okay. That's not the traditional RC circuit, but whatever. If that's what you are asked to solve for, then ok.

Your first equation is correct:

[tex]\frac{V_c(t)}{R} + C \frac{dV_c(t)}{dt} = I_s[/tex]

That is a differential equation for Vc(t). To solve it, you assume a solution for Vc(t), and then differentiate that solution to get dVc(t)/dt. Plug those back into the differential equation, and solve for any constants or unknowns.

Since you were given the solution for Vc(t), go ahead and differentiate it, and plug all of that into the differential equation to show that it is a solution.

Related to Help with Step Response of an RC circuit

1. What is an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that consists of a resistor (R) and a capacitor (C) connected in series. It is used to control the flow of electric current and can be found in various electronic devices such as filters, oscillators, and timers.

2. How does an RC circuit respond to a step input?

When a step input (a sudden change in voltage or current) is applied to an RC circuit, the capacitor initially acts as an open circuit and blocks the flow of current. As the capacitor charges, the current starts to flow through the resistor until it reaches a steady-state value. This results in a gradual rise in voltage across the capacitor.

3. What is the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant (τ) of an RC circuit is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges and is calculated by multiplying the resistance (R) and the capacitance (C). It is denoted by the symbol τ = RC.

4. How do you calculate the step response of an RC circuit?

The step response of an RC circuit can be calculated using the formula Vc = V(1 - e^(-t/RC)), where Vc is the voltage across the capacitor at a given time (t), V is the maximum voltage, and RC is the time constant of the circuit.

5. What factors affect the step response of an RC circuit?

The step response of an RC circuit is influenced by the resistance (R) and the capacitance (C) values of the components used. A larger resistance or capacitance will result in a longer time constant and slower charging or discharging of the capacitor. Additionally, the input voltage and the initial voltage across the capacitor also affect the step response.