1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with this one

1. Feb 3, 2004 #1
    Problem: Verify that F= i - zj - jk is conservative, and find the scalar potential V(x,y,z) such that F=-gradV.

How do you tell if this is conservative?

will the scalar potential be: F=-gradV=-(-k-j)= (k+j)
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Uh- did you notice that (k+ j) is not even a scalar? Or that "grad" is only defined for scalar functions so that "-grad V" is not defined?

You are going the wrong way: you need to find a function V(x,y,z) such that -gradF= V. That is, we seek a function V(x,y,z) such that FVx= -1, Vy= -z and Vz= OOPs, I have absolutely no idea what you mean by "-jk". I am going to assume that you meant "-yk" and mistyped: Fz= -y.

Okay, if there exist such a function then Vxy=
    (-1)y= 0 and Vyx= (-z)x= 0. Okay that's possible: Vxy= Vyx as expected. Vyz= (-z)z= -1 and Vzy= -yy= -1. Yes! We have Vyz= Vzy.
    Finally, Vxz= (-1)z= 0 and Vzx= (-y)x= 0.

Yes, is conservative.

We must have Vx= 1 so V(x,y,z)=x+ g(y,z) (If g depends only on y and z, then it dervative with respect to x is 0).
    The Vy= gy(y,z)= -z so g(y,z)= -yz+ f(z) and V(x,y,a)= x- yz+ f(z). Then Vz= -y+ f'(z)= -y (assuming thatit was supposed to by -yk rather than -ik) so f'(z)= 0 and f is a constant, C. V(x,y,z)= x- yz+ C.
  4. Feb 3, 2004 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

One way is just find the potential function, like Halls did.

Another way is to evalute the curl of the force; if it's zero, the force is conservative and there exists a potential function.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?