1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help writing a few basic formulae

1. Aug 15, 2006 #1
    I'm assuming this is the correct forum, please tell me if it isn't so I'll know if future.

I'm new to the whole formulae thing, and need some help with some (presumably) easy formulae. How would I write the following in both words and symbols? I've done as much work as I know how to do, so sorry if I come across as being naive.

-Sodium Hydroxide + Sulfuric Acid =...

-Calcium Hydroxide + Hydrochloric Acid=...(Calcium Chloride + Water)

-Magnesium Hydroxide + Nitric Acid=...(Magnesium Nitrate + Water)

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2006 #2
    Well since this is a homework problem, you should actually have posted here. https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=157

All of those reactions are that between a base and an acid. Hydroxides (OH-) are common bases. Ammonia (NH3) is a common weak base.

the hydroxide ion is OH-
    the sodium ion is Na+

NaOH sodium hydroxide
    sulfuric acid is H2SO4

2NaOH + H2SO4 --> Na2SO4 + 2H2O

Your book should tell you how to write the forumla for all of these compounds. As for the reactions look up acid-base neutralization; you always get a salt and water. But you really need to show more effort before I can help you out more :-/
  4. Aug 15, 2006 #3
    (Oh, sorry about the misplacement of the thread =/)

My book hardly tells me anything and I have an awful teacher; all I need are these three answers to work off; sorry if I sound kind of demanding, but I honestly don't want mean to sound like I am.
  5. Aug 15, 2006 #4
    Can you come up with the formula for calcium and magnesium hydroxide? What are the charges on the calcium and magnesium ions? (and your edit for the products are correct)
  6. Aug 15, 2006 #5
    Formula for calcium hydroxide=CaOH; magnesium hydroxide=MgOH. Regarding the charges on the ions, I haven't learned that too well as of yet, however I have learned valencies. Calcium's valency is 2(+); magnesium's valency is 2(+).

Furthermore, hydrochloric acid=HCl; nitric acid=HNO3.
  7. Aug 15, 2006 #6
    Good. Hydrochloric acid has a H+ and a Cl- ion. That is, a hydrogen ion and a chloride ion.
    Nitric acid has a hydrogen ion and a nitrate ion (NO3-). When the acid ends in -ic, use an -ate ion.

Wrong! Hydroxide has a negative one (-1) charge. Ca as you said has a +2 charge. So you must have two hydroxide ions per Ca+2. Same goes for magnesium! Make sure you group polyatomic (more than one atom) ions (hydroxide and nitrate are for example polyatomic ions) using paranthesis.

8. Aug 15, 2006 #7
    Damn, in my classes we've just been using valencies..=/ (P.S. thanks for the links)

Edit: Uh, have I shown sufficient effort?
  9. Aug 15, 2006 #8
    *bump* Please, this is the only question I'll ever need to ask here and I need the answer ASAP - I've done all I can with them, please, someone show me the answers!
  10. Aug 15, 2006 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry Muzzae, we CAN NOT do that.

You must first understand the basics of valency and compound formation from different chemical species.

You have to learn the basics correctly. You can't expect to skip past them and get answers to higher level questions.

There are no short cuts here.
  11. Aug 16, 2006 #10
    Oh well, thanks anyway. I didn't know it was a "higher level" question, seeing as my teacher gave it as homework (I'm in grade 9, by the way). Again, thanks anyway. I think this thread has served it's purpose since I got the answers.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?