Helping setting up Nodal Equations

• Thread starter bengaltiger14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nodal
In summary, the conversation is about setting up nodal equations to find the node voltages at N1 and N2 in a circuit. The first equation is set up using KCL with the source voltage and the voltage at node 2 as the known voltages. The second equation is set up similarly at node 2. The conversation then discusses different methods for solving the equations, either by eliminating one of the unknowns or using a determinant.
bengaltiger14
Helping setting up Nodal Equations...

Homework Statement

I need to find the node voltages at N1 and N2. See attachment for circuit.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I need to setup KCL at each node. At Node 1, I got this:

(v1-v2)/12 - (v3-v2)/20 - (v2-0)/40 =0

v1 is the source voltage, and v3 is the voltage at node 2. Is this correct thus far?

Attachments

• ECE221Circuit.doc
    80.5 KB · Views: 189
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are correct so far. However, I personally like to write the KCL equations from the perspective of the node in question, showing that the sum of the currents out of the node is zero. So I would have written your first equation like this instead.

(v2-v1)/12 + (v3-v2)/20 + (v2-0)/40 =0

It's a matter of personal preference, I guess, but thinking about the KCL equations in this way helps me to keep them straight in my head.

Cool.. thanks. And the equation at Node 2 should look something like:

(v2-v3)/20 - (0-v3)/60 = 0

Plug in v2 from previous equation, solve for v3, and then plug v3 back into first equation?

bengaltiger14 said:
Cool.. thanks. And the equation at Node 2 should look something like:

(v2-v3)/20 - (0-v3)/60 = 0

Plug in v2 from previous equation, solve for v3, and then plug v3 back into first equation?

I still have trouble with your sign conventions, but I think that is correct.

Any suggestions on solving these equations?

bengaltiger14 said:
Any suggestions on solving these equations?

You have two unknowns and two equations. You can either set up the equations so that you can add them to eliminate one of the unknowns, or you can use the determinant math trick to solve them.

1. What are nodal equations?

Nodal equations are mathematical expressions used in circuit analysis to determine the voltages at different nodes (points) in an electrical circuit. They are based on Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law.

2. Why is it important to set up nodal equations?

Setting up nodal equations is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of complex electrical circuits. These equations help us determine the voltage at each node, which is essential for designing and troubleshooting circuits.

3. How do you set up nodal equations?

To set up nodal equations, you need to follow these steps:

1. Identify all the nodes in the circuit.

2. Choose one node as the reference node and assign it a voltage of 0.

3. Write Kirchhoff's Current Law equations for each node, using the reference node as a starting point.

4. Substitute the voltages at each node with unknown variables and solve the equations simultaneously to find the values of the variables.

4. What are some common mistakes when setting up nodal equations?

Some common mistakes when setting up nodal equations include:

- Forgetting to include all the nodes in the circuit.

- Using the wrong reference node.

- Not considering the direction of current flow at each node.

- Making incorrect assumptions about the voltages at certain nodes.

To avoid these mistakes, it is important to carefully analyze the circuit and double-check the equations before solving them.

5. Can nodal equations be used for all types of circuits?

Nodal equations can be used for most types of circuits, including DC circuits, AC circuits, and circuits with multiple voltage sources. However, they may not be the most efficient method for certain types of circuits, such as circuits with heavily dependent sources. In these cases, other circuit analysis techniques may be more suitable.