Hess's Law Explained | Simple Explanation for Enthalpy Change

In summary, Hess' law states that the change in enthalpy between reactants and products is the same as the change in enthalpy between the reactants and any other intermediate steps, as long as the initial and final states are the same. This is because enthalpy is a state function and only depends on the initial and final states, not the path taken. This can be useful for calculating enthalpy changes for reactions using different pathways.
IDK10

Homework Statement

I need to research Hess' law, but I can't find a simple explanation. I know that the enthalpy change between the reactants and products is the same as the enthalpy change between the reactants and something else, and between that something else and the products, but I don't know what this something else is.

Homework Equations

None I know

The Attempt at a Solution

I looked online, but it went into great detail about it.

Physics news on Phys.org
ANYTHING else. Because enthalpy is a state function, the change in enthalpy depends only on the initial and final states, and not on the path taken between them. So the enthalpy change for the process A → B is the same as that for the process A → C → B, or that for A → D → E → F → B, whatever C, D etc. are.

Likes Chestermiller
mjc123 said:
ANYTHING else. Because enthalpy is a state function, the change in enthalpy depends only on the initial and final states, and not on the path taken between them. So the enthalpy change for the process A → B is the same as that for the process A → C → B, or that for A → D → E → F → B, whatever C, D etc. are.
OK, thanks.

What is Hess's Law and why is it important?

Hess's Law is a fundamental principle in thermodynamics that states the total enthalpy change in a chemical reaction is independent of the pathway taken, as long as the initial and final conditions are the same. In simple terms, it means that the overall energy change of a reaction remains constant regardless of the intermediate steps. This law is important because it allows scientists to calculate the enthalpy change of a reaction without having to directly measure it, making it a useful tool in predicting and understanding chemical reactions.

How is Hess's Law used in practice?

Hess's Law is often used to calculate the enthalpy change of a reaction by using a series of known reactions. By manipulating and combining these reactions, the overall enthalpy change can be determined. This is particularly useful for reactions that are difficult to measure directly, such as those that involve explosive or toxic substances.

What are the key components of Hess's Law?

The key components of Hess's Law are the law of conservation of energy, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, and the fact that enthalpy is a state function, meaning it only depends on the initial and final states of a system, not the path taken. Hess's Law also relies on the principle of additivity, where the enthalpy changes of individual reactions can be added or subtracted to determine the overall enthalpy change of a reaction.

What are some practical applications of Hess's Law?

Hess's Law has numerous practical applications in chemistry and other fields. It is commonly used in industries that involve energy production, such as power plants and chemical manufacturing. It is also used in environmental studies to calculate the energy released or absorbed during natural processes like photosynthesis and respiration. Additionally, Hess's Law is used in the production of fertilizers and in the design of new chemical processes.

What are some limitations of Hess's Law?

While Hess's Law is a useful tool for calculating enthalpy changes, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the reactants and products are in their standard states and that the reactions are carried out at constant pressure. It also only applies to reactions that occur in the gas phase or in solution. Additionally, Hess's Law does not account for any changes in temperature or phase that may occur during a reaction.