Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High power resistor ratings

1. Sep 16, 2014 #1
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a high power resistor. I just got confused over some nomenclature I haven't seen before. (Yes I'm a beginner). I'm seeing resistors named like this: "3R9ohm"and "4R7ohm" I know what R is in V=IR. But in the rating of a resistor? Can someone help?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Power rating (in Watts) is a totally different thing to the resistance of a resistor

your 3R9 and 4R7 are the resistive values ie. 3.9 and 4.7 Ohms respectively

resistors can be purchased with all sorts of power ratings from ~ 1/8 Watt to 100's of Watts
    for every day electronics ( maybe higher wattage ratings in high voltage/current situations )

Dave

4. Sep 16, 2014 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The power rating is all about getting rid of heat, so transistors rated for a high power are typically quite large. If you do not know what resistance values mean, I'm not sure if you really need a high power resistor. What is the purpose of the resistor?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook