1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

High School Student Text book question

1. Jul 27, 2012 #1
    Anyone know of a good textbook that i can get off of amazon. I just want a good book to steer me in a good direction. Because i just study this a lot in my spare time and i don't have a decent source of information.

Any textbook will do but i need something. The difficulty of the book does not matter to me for even if i don't know or don't understand something i can look it up. Thank you for any help you can give me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  4. Jul 28, 2012 #3
    You could have asked for the information without being a dick about it.

5. Jul 28, 2012 #4
    micromass, you guy :3

to OP, try How to Prove it - A Structured Approach. If you plan on studying maths it'll give you the jist of how proofs go in maths and how to understand them.

6. Jul 28, 2012 #5
    That's no way to speak to a Mentor of PF. Please do note that it's the OP's duty to provide the relevant info pertaining to a question, for receiving optimal advice on it. We're not superhumans to mind-read things. Besides, I don't see you contributing in any way.

To the OP: "Basic Mathematics" by Serge Lang is a brilliant book for learning/reviewing all major topics prior to Calculus.

7. Jul 28, 2012 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I realize that. And I apologize to the OP if he was offended in any way, that was not my intention. But in any case, he learned now that it is important to give all the information if you want a good answer to your post.

8. Jul 28, 2012 #7
    He/she did also say that the book's difficulty did not matter for if they did not know something, they could look it up.

9. Jul 29, 2012 #8
    I hijack this post with a question if it's ok! Does Langs' book include some kind of introduction to derivatives and limits?

10. Jul 29, 2012 #9
    I think Lang's A First Course in Calculus would be better suited for this job

11. Jul 29, 2012 #10
    Ok, thanks! I assume it's accesible for a person that has worked through the relevant topics in "Basic Mathematics" by the same author? I've namely ordered the latter to learn the mathematics covered in an ordinary high school curriculum.

12. Jul 29, 2012 #11
    Yes, Basic Mathematics will teach you everything you need to know to be prepared for a Calculus course.

13. Jul 29, 2012 #12
    I actually just started this other thread about a self-teaching calculus book that I picked up that is great! It's called Quick Calculus 2nd Edition: A Self-Teaching Guide by Daniel Kleppner and Norman Ramsey. I'm in high school as well, and I HIGHLY recommend it!

14. Aug 3, 2012 #13
    ROFL!

The OP really needs to give more information about what they are looking for. There are just too many ways to answer this question, even if we want to help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook