Where to Find Guides for Building a DIY Telescope?

In summary: ."Build Your Own Telescope - Complete Plans for Five High-quality Telescopes that Anyone Can Build" by Richard Berry.
SpaceDreamer
Can anyone suggest a guide or books for making a telescope, DIY style. Also what size would be appropriate for a first attempt, and how much might it cost it you have any ideas.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Many such books are available. Search under 'amateur telescope making' to see some of the choices available. I would not attempt anything bigger than 8" on the first try. Kit prices vary depending glass type and amenities included. An 8" kit can run from about $65 to over $200. The $65 kit includes plate glass blanks plus abrasives and pitch. The $200 kit includes a precut f8 pyrex blank, abrasives/pitch, a finished diagonal mirror, and free aluminizing of the primary once you have polished and figured it. So, like most things, you get what you pay for. You won't save much money on a DIY scope by the time you get it accessorized and mounted. You can, however, get much better optical quality than commercially available.

SpaceDreamer, here is the website of the magazine “Sky and Telescope”:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/

You will find it a useful resource no matter how you are involved with astronomy. There I entered the search terms “DIY telescopes” and found this:
http://www.skyandtelescope.com/equipment/vendors/118169789.html

It is a list of many suppliers of telescope-making materials and plans.
Let us know here on PF of your progress!

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Richard Berry's, "Build Your Own Telescope - Complete Plans for Five High-quality Telescopes that Anyone Can Build", is a must read. New, it sells for around $30 and used it sells for as little as $13.

The easiest DIY telescope is the 60/1000 refractor. Not much involved in the build of the scope itself. Buy the objective, cell and tube (~$25, search term "MASILMW Carton 60/1000" and ~$15, search term "MASILMW 60mm telescope tubes") from MASILMW and the focuser from Crawmach.com (~$110) or from surplusshed.com (~12.50).

The best for light grasp is the 8"-10" dobsonian. You can purchase second-hand mirrors fairly cheaply ($200-$600). You will need a secondary mirror and focuser as well. Prices (and quality) vary widely. The dobson mount build is well-described in Richard Berry's book.

Thanks for the book suggestions, I will look into them. As for the telescope I was thinking of a 8in dobsonian. In your opinion would it be better to buy a mirror already prepped or one that must be polished and grinded, etc.

That would depend on what you want out of the experience. If you want the full experience, grind the mirror yourself. Also grind the flat secondary and learn to test both. The experience is as much physical as it is intellectual, IMO. The best part of that is the experience you will gain in evaluating optics. It's a skill that will certainly distinguish you amongst your astronomy buddy peers.

There are a few, but what I found useful was

All About Telescopes (Popular Optics Library). Edmund Scientific

1. What materials do I need to make a home made DIY telescope?

To make a basic home made DIY telescope, you will need a cardboard or PVC tube, lenses (such as convex and concave lenses), eyepieces, a tripod or stand, and some basic tools like scissors and tape. You can also use additional materials for a more advanced telescope, such as a mirror or a lens cell.

2. How much does it cost to make a home made DIY telescope?

The cost of making a home made DIY telescope can vary depending on the materials and tools you choose to use. However, a basic telescope can be made for under $50, while a more advanced one may cost up to $200. Keep in mind that this is significantly cheaper than purchasing a commercial telescope, which can cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

3. Is it difficult to make a home made DIY telescope?

The difficulty level of making a home made DIY telescope depends on the design and complexity of the telescope you choose to make. Some designs may be more challenging than others, but with the right materials and instructions, it can be a fun and rewarding project for anyone interested in astronomy or optics.

4. Can I see the same things with a home made DIY telescope as with a commercial one?

The quality and capabilities of a home made DIY telescope may not be on par with a commercial telescope, but you can still see many celestial objects such as the moon, planets, and stars. The key is to have a good understanding of how to align and adjust your telescope for optimal viewing.

5. Are there any resources or guides available for making a home made DIY telescope?

Yes, there are many resources and guides available online, in books, and through astronomy clubs and organizations. Some resources provide step-by-step instructions for making specific telescope designs, while others offer general tips and advice for building a telescope from scratch. It may also be helpful to consult with experienced telescope makers for advice and guidance.