Homemade Electric Crank Generator Not Producing Voltage

In summary: You need to move the magnets so that the field is more perpendicular to the wire loops.If you want to generate a lot of voltage you need to orient the magnets so that their poles are pointing towards the center of the coil.
Adsr
This is a homemade generator I've been trying to make using a hand crank, neodymium magnets and two copper coils. It doesn't work. If anyone has any suggestions on how to configure the magnets or something I am doing wrong your comments will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 2014_03 Generator.jpg
    2014_03 Generator.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 516
Physics news on Phys.org
You expect to guess how is supposed to work just from that picture?
Where are the magnets? And what is moving?

Unfortunately, the single view of your generator attached to the OP doesn't provide enough detail of the layout to judge why you are having problems. Several views from different angles would give a clearer picture of its construction.

Sorry

there's magnets on either sides of the wheel and the copper coils at the bottom are connected with more copper wire running beneath the wheel.

Attachments

• Generator 2.jpg
    Generator 2.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 456
  • generator 3.jpg
    generator 3.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 467
I'm in grade 11 and have next to no knowledge on how this stuff works.

It probably is working but the emf you are inducing is very small and you are unable to detect it. To get a big voltage you need to get a large rate of change of flux so you need strong magnets, large coil(s) and fast movement.
From the picture it seems you have magnets fixed along the axis of the disc. If so the magnetic field is strongest along this axis and is mainly missing the coils.Also the field seems to be at a fixed and fairly long distance from the coils. Arrange it so that the magnets can move closer to the coils and arrange the orientation of the magnets so that their poles can approach and retreat from the coils.
Try fixing the magnets with the right orientation close to the circumference of the disc.

should i put the magnets on the edge of the disc instead of the side maybe... if you look at the first picture they're already incredibly close to the coils

Should the magnets be alternating poles from north to south?

Adsr said:
should i put the magnets on the edge of the disc instead of the side maybe... if you look at the first picture they're already incredibly close to the coils

I think it would be easier to move the coils. The poles of the magnets should be pointing at the hollow section of your coils like the following:

PF.2014.03.16.1232.ac.generator.jpg

should I reorient the coils then so they're perpendicular to how they are now?

I would try to stick an iron rod in the copper coils.

You should do both: put an iron core in each coil and place them so the axis is horizontal and perpendicular to the plane of the wheel.
Each magnet will pass through the gap between the two horizontal iron cores.
Still not the best setup but you may get a measurable voltage.

In the current position the flux through the coils is very small as the field is mostly parallel to the wire loops .

1. Why is my homemade electric crank generator not producing any voltage?

There could be a few reasons for this. First, make sure that all the connections are secure and there are no loose wires. Also, check that the generator's coil is properly wound and tightly attached to the magnets. Additionally, the magnets may need to be stronger or closer to the coil in order to produce enough voltage.

2. How can I increase the voltage output of my homemade electric crank generator?

One way to increase the voltage output is to use stronger magnets or add more magnets to the generator. You can also try winding the coil with thinner wire, as this will increase the number of turns and therefore increase the voltage output. Additionally, you can increase the speed at which you crank the generator, as this will also result in a higher voltage output.

3. Is it possible to convert the voltage output of my homemade electric crank generator?

Yes, it is possible to convert the voltage output of your generator using a voltage converter or transformer. However, keep in mind that the amount of voltage produced is dependent on the design and materials used in your specific generator. So, even with a converter, you may not be able to achieve a significantly higher voltage output.

4. Can I use my homemade electric crank generator to power large appliances?

It is unlikely that a homemade electric crank generator will be able to produce enough voltage to power large appliances. These types of generators are better suited for smaller devices and can be used as a backup power source for things like phones or small lights. If you are looking to power larger appliances, it is best to invest in a professionally made generator.

5. Is it safe to use a homemade electric crank generator?

As with any DIY project, there are potential safety hazards involved in using a homemade electric crank generator. It is important to follow all instructions carefully and take proper precautions, such as wearing protective gear and ensuring proper ventilation. Additionally, be aware of the voltage output of your generator and never touch any exposed wires while it is in use.