Homework help- electrical resistance

In summary, the problem involves finding the diameter of a tungsten filament in a lightbulb with a given resistance and resistivity. The formula for resistance is given, but the calculation was incorrect due to incorrect units. The correct answer should be in mm.
bob12345

Homework Statement

A 2.5 cm length of tungsten filament in a
small lightbulb has a resistance of 0.041
Find its diameter. (The resistivity is
5.6 × 10−8
· m).
Answer in units of mm.

Homework Equations

R=P(L/2pi*rsquared)

The Attempt at a Solution

i keep getting 20856 m as my answer but it is wrng when i entr it i plugged in everything and made sure everything was to the right unit so don't know what is wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
Take care of units. The resistance of the filament is 0.041 ohm, the resistvity is 5.6 x10-8 ohm-meter, and the length is 0.025 m. How could you get such a result for the diameter of a tiny filament? Show your calculation.

ehild

What is electrical resistance?

Electrical resistance is the measure of how strongly a material impedes the flow of electric current through it. It is measured in ohms (Ω).

How is electrical resistance calculated?

Electrical resistance is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current (R=V/I). It can also be calculated using the equation R=ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of the material, L is the length, and A is the cross-sectional area.

Why is electrical resistance important?

Electrical resistance is important because it determines how much current can flow through a material and how much energy is lost in the form of heat. It also allows us to control and manipulate electricity for various applications.

What factors affect electrical resistance?

The factors that affect electrical resistance include the material of the conductor, its length and cross-sectional area, and its temperature. Different materials have different resistivities, and longer and thinner conductors have higher resistance. Resistance also increases with temperature.

How can I reduce electrical resistance?

To reduce electrical resistance, you can use materials with lower resistivities, shorten the length of the conductor, increase its cross-sectional area, and keep it at a lower temperature. You can also use conductors with higher conductivity, such as copper or silver, instead of materials with higher resistivity, such as iron or steel.