Solve Physics 11 Problem: "Did Person Catch Bus?

In summary, a person walking at a speed of 1.7m/s sees a stopped bus 25m away. The person starts to run with an acceleration of 1.3m/s2 and reaches a maximum speed of 6.9m/s after 4 seconds. At the same time, the bus starts moving and accelerates at 2.6m/s2. To determine if the person caught the bus, we can use distance formulas as functions of time for both the person and the bus. By subtracting the distance traveled by the person from the initial distance of 25m, we can find that there was a distance of 7.8m between the person and the bus. However, further calculations
67NICK67
Homework help, please! Urgent

This is the question from my physics 11 class, it has completely stumped me, i have done about have the question, i just get stuck when it comes to proving that the persone has or has not caught the bus.

here it is:

A personne walking at a speed of 1.7m/s see's a stopped bus 25m from him. At this moment this person starts to run with an acceleration of 1,3m/s2. After 4 secondes this personne has reached his maximum speed et it stays constant, but at the same time the bus starts moving and accelerates 2,6m/s2.

Does this person suceed in catching the bus? If so, at what time and at what distance, if not what was the smallest distance between the person and the bus.

- I am sorry if there any mistakes, i translated from french.

Ive got this so far:

Alright well, by using the initiale speed of 1,7m/s and 4s, i found his constante speed of 6.9m/s. So after that i used the acceleration and his speed to determine the distance he travelled, 17,2m. i subtracted 17,2m from 25m, which left 7,8m between the bus and the person. Then I am stuck, how do i incorporate both speeds in one equations to see if he caught the bus or not?

Update, i tryed using a time of 8s for both the peron and the bus, and i see that the bus is goin faster then the person and has traveled a dreater distance, the only problem is don't know what has happened between 4s and 8s, I am completely lost:confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Nick. Please note that you must show your work before we can help with homework questions. How far have you got?

To solve such a question:
1. Write a traversed distance formula for the person and one for the bus, both distance formulas as functions of time.

Can you do that?

i added my work, to the bottom,

reply for travers distance formula thing, my classes are in french and i don't know what that means or we didnt learn that yet

1. How can I solve the physics 11 problem "Did Person Catch Bus?"

To solve this problem, you will need to use the formula d=rt, where d is the distance traveled, r is the rate or speed of the bus, and t is the time it takes for the bus to reach its destination. You will also need to know the distance between the starting point and the bus stop, as well as the speed of the person running to catch the bus.

2. What is the significance of using the d=rt formula in this problem?

The d=rt formula is derived from the basic physics equation of velocity (v=d/t), where d is the distance and t is the time. By plugging in the values for distance, rate, and time, we can solve for any of those variables in a problem involving motion. In this case, we are solving for time to determine if the person caught the bus or not.

3. How do I know if the person caught the bus?

To determine if the person caught the bus, you will need to compare the time it took for the person to reach the bus stop to the time it took for the bus to reach the same destination. If the person's time is equal to or less than the bus's time, then the person caught the bus. If the person's time is greater than the bus's time, then the person did not catch the bus.

4. What other factors should I consider when solving this problem?

Other factors that may affect the outcome of this problem include the distance between the person and the bus stop, the speed of the person running, and any other possible delays or obstacles that may have occurred during the person's attempt to catch the bus. It's important to accurately gather and input all relevant information to get an accurate solution.

5. Are there any real-world applications for solving this type of problem?

Yes, this type of problem can be applied to real-life scenarios involving transportation and timing. For example, it can be used to determine if a person will make it to their destination on time if they are running late or if they have enough time to catch a connecting bus or train. It can also be used in logistics and supply chain management to calculate delivery times and schedules.