Solving Two Acceleration Problems: Homework Help Needed!

• Thread starter Martis31
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, acceleration problems involve calculating the rate of change of velocity over time using the equation a = (vf - vi)/t. To solve these problems, you must gather all given information and use the correct formula, while paying attention to units. Common types of acceleration problems include finding acceleration from given velocity and time values, and determining final or initial velocity or time given acceleration. It is important to carefully read the problem, identify all given information, and double check units and conversions. While using the formula is recommended, other equations such as the kinematic equations can also be used. However, understanding the concept of acceleration is crucial in successfully solving these problems.
Martis31
so here are the two problems:

1. a sports car accelerates from rest to 95 km/h in 6.2 s. What is its average acceleration in m/s2-->SQUARED?

2. a sprinter accelerates from rest to 10.0m/s in 1.32s. what is her acceleration(a) in m/s2, and (b) in km/h2?

plsss help me :cry: i need procedure so i can understand the explanation :redface: thanksss! :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Definition of average acceleration

[tex] a_{avg} = \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t} \ or \ \frac{v_f-v_i}{t_f-t_i}[/tex]

You are given changes in velocity and changes in time. Simply divide.

Hello! I am happy to help you with these two acceleration problems. Solving acceleration problems involves using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

For the first problem, we are given the final velocity (95 km/h) and the time (6.2 s), but we need to convert the units to match the formula. We know that 1 km = 1000 m, so 95 km = 95,000 m. We also know that 1 h = 3600 s, so 6.2 s = 6.2/3600 h. Now we can plug these values into the formula:

a = (95,000 m/6.2/3600 h) = (95,000 m/6.2 s) x (3600 s/1 h) = 15322.58 m/s^2.

Therefore, the average acceleration of the sports car is 15322.58 m/s^2.

For the second problem, we are given the final velocity (10.0 m/s) and the time (1.32 s). Again, we need to convert the units to match the formula. We know that 1 km = 1000 m, so 10.0 m = 10/1000 km. Now we can plug these values into the formula:

a = ((10/1000 km - 0 km)/1.32 s) = (10/1000 km/1.32 s) = 7.58 km/h^2.

Therefore, the acceleration of the sprinter is 7.58 km/h^2.

I hope this helps you understand the procedure and the explanation. If you have any further questions, please let me know. Good luck with your homework! :smile:

1. What are acceleration problems?

Acceleration problems involve calculating the rate of change of velocity over time. This can be done by using the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How do I solve acceleration problems?

To solve acceleration problems, you will need to gather all the given information, such as values for velocity and time, and plug them into the equation a = (vf - vi)/t. Make sure to pay attention to units and use the correct formulas for the problem at hand.

3. What are some common types of acceleration problems?

Some common types of acceleration problems include calculating acceleration from given velocity and time values, finding the final or initial velocity given acceleration and time, and determining the time it takes to reach a certain velocity with a given acceleration.

4. What are some tips for solving acceleration problems?

Be sure to carefully read the problem and identify all given information. Make a list of what is known and what is needed to be solved. Double check units and conversions, and use the correct formula for the given problem. Finally, be sure to show all work and units in your calculations for full credit.

5. Can I solve acceleration problems without using the formula?

While it is recommended to use the formula a = (vf - vi)/t to solve acceleration problems, in some cases you may be able to use other equations, such as the kinematic equations, if the problem involves other variables like displacement or acceleration due to gravity. However, it is important to understand the underlying concept of acceleration and how it relates to velocity and time in order to successfully solve these types of problems.