Calculating Gas Consumption for Scuba Diving: A Homework Problem Solution

In summary, the conversation is about calculating how long the gas in a scuba tank will last based on the average human's breathing rate and the amount of gas in the tank. The total pressure in the tank is calculated to be 12.379 atm and the time to empty the tank is calculated to be 8.0 min. However, there is some confusion about whether the pressure in the tank decreases over time and the calculation of the number of moles of gas in a single breath. The answer of 7.8 min is believed to be incorrect.
teleport
Hi, I have been struggling a little with this question.

Scuba divers breathe a mixture of O2(g) and He(g) to avoid "the bends, a condition caused by nitrogen in the blood. If 65.0g O2(g) and 2.00g He(g) are placed in a 5.0L tank at 25oC, calculate:

If the average human takes 15 breaths per minute, and breathes in 0.50L at 1.00 atm, calculate how long the gas in the tank will last?

This is what I've done:

Pressure in the tank:

n(He) = (2.00 g He)/(4.00 g/mol) = 0.500 mol He

n(O2) = (65.0 g)/(32 .00 g/mol) = 2.03125 mol O2

n(total) = n(He) + n(O2) = 2.53125 mol

P(total) = (n(total)RT)/V = (2.53125)(0.082057)(298)/5.0
P(total) = 12.379 atm

time to empty:

P1V1 = P2V2
(1.00 atm)(0.50 L) = (12 atm)x,

where x is the volume breathed in one breath

x = 0.0416667 L

in one min: Vbreathed = 15x = 0.625 L

(1 min)/(0.625 L) = t/(5.0 L)

Therefore t = 8.0 min.

Is all that right or instead of using the total pressure in the tank I should use the partial pressure of O2? The answer should be 7.8 min which I'm not getting. But I have also tried it with O2 partial volume and I don't get the answer. Am I missing something? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
teleport said:
Hi, I have been struggling a little with this question.

Scuba divers breathe a mixture of O2(g) and He(g) to avoid "the bends, a condition caused by nitrogen in the blood. If 65.0g O2(g) and 2.00g He(g) are placed in a 5.0L tank at 25oC, calculate:

If the average human takes 15 breaths per minute, and breathes in 0.50L at 1.00 atm, calculate how long the gas in the tank will last?

This is what I've done:

Pressure in the tank:

n(He) = (2.00 g He)/(4.00 g/mol) = 0.500 mol He

n(O2) = (65.0 g)/(32 .00 g/mol) = 2.03125 mol O2

n(total) = n(He) + n(O2) = 2.53125 mol

P(total) = (n(total)RT)/V = (2.53125)(0.082057)(298)/5.0
P(total) = 12.379 atm

time to empty:

P1V1 = P2V2
(1.00 atm)(0.50 L) = (12 atm)x,
Does the pressure in the tank always stay at 12 atm? Doesn't it keep decreasing with time?

You've counted the total number of moles of gas in the tank. Why don't you simply count the number of moles of gas in a single breath as well?

Also, be careful with the numbers - what was 12.379 at one step became 12 in the next.

Finally, I think 7.8 min is wrong.

PS : This question belongs in the Homework & Coursework section.

Last edited:

I would say that your calculations and approach to solving this problem are correct. However, there are a few points to consider:

1. The ideal gas law assumes that the gases in the tank behave ideally, which may not be the case in real life. Factors such as temperature, pressure, and gas composition can affect the behavior of gases.

2. The calculation of the total pressure in the tank is correct, as you have correctly accounted for the moles of both gases present. However, in real life, the partial pressure of each gas would be important to consider, as it is the partial pressure that determines the amount of gas that can dissolve in the blood.

3. The answer of 7.8 minutes may be an approximation or an ideal scenario. In real life, factors such as breathing rate, depth of the dive, and individual differences in physiology can affect the duration of the gas in the tank.

Overall, your calculations are correct, but it is important to keep in mind the limitations and assumptions of the ideal gas law and how they may affect the real-life scenario of scuba diving. I would recommend reaching out to your instructor or a more experienced scuba diver for further clarification and understanding.

1. How do I calculate the gas consumption for scuba diving?

To calculate the gas consumption for scuba diving, you will need to know the volume of your tank and the depth and duration of your dive. You can then use the formula: Gas Consumption = (Volume of Tank / (Depth of Dive / 33)) * Dive Time. This will give you the gas consumption in pressure per minute (PPM).

2. What is the significance of calculating gas consumption for scuba diving?

Calculating gas consumption for scuba diving is important because it allows you to properly plan and manage your gas supply during a dive. It also helps you to avoid running out of air or having an unexpected emergency due to insufficient gas.

3. How does depth affect gas consumption while scuba diving?

Depth has a significant impact on gas consumption while scuba diving. The deeper you dive, the higher the pressure on your tank and the faster your gas will be consumed. This is due to the increase in ambient pressure, which compresses the gas in your tank and causes it to deplete at a faster rate.

4. What are some factors that can affect gas consumption while scuba diving?

Aside from depth and duration of the dive, other factors that can affect gas consumption include the type of breathing gas used, the diver's physical condition and breathing rate, and the water temperature and conditions. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating gas consumption for a dive.

5. Can I use the same gas consumption calculation for different types of diving?

The gas consumption calculation for scuba diving can vary depending on the type of diving, such as recreational, technical, or cave diving. It is important to use the appropriate formula for your specific type of diving and to always double-check your calculations to ensure accuracy.