Atom & Molecular Density of 235-U & Water Solution

• Thread starter matt222
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homogeneous
In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the atom density of 235-U and molecular density of water in a homogeneous solution containing 10g of 235-U per liter of solution. The calculated atom density of 235-U is 2.56E19 and the molecular density of water is 3.35E22.
matt222

Homework Statement

homogeneous solution of 235-U and water, contains 10g of 235-U/L of solution, what is the atom density of 235-U and the molecular density of water

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first converting 10g/L to 0.01g/cm^3, density of water 1g/cm^3

N(235)/N(H2O)=density of U*M(H2O)/density of H2O*M(U)

N(235)/N(H2O)=7.66*10^-4

i stopped here can anyone giude me

Physics news on Phys.org
You have calculated the molecular density correctly now calculate the atom density taking into account number of atoms in each water molecule.

I calculate it I realize that water atoms density it higher that U235, \U=2.56E19.,/WATER=3.35E22

Oh my bad - don't look at my previous post. The last answers you gave are totally correct.

To continue, we need to calculate the number of moles of 235-U in the solution. We can do this by dividing the mass of 235-U (10g) by its molar mass (235 g/mol). This gives us 0.0426 moles of 235-U in the solution.

Next, we can calculate the number of atoms of 235-U by multiplying the number of moles by Avogadro's number (6.022*10^23 atoms/mol). This gives us a total of 2.56*10^22 atoms of 235-U in the solution.

To find the atom density, we divide the number of atoms by the volume of the solution (0.01 cm^3). This gives us an atom density of 2.56*10^24 atoms/cm^3 for 235-U.

For the molecular density of water, we can use the same approach. First, we calculate the number of moles of water in the solution by dividing the mass of water (10g) by its molar mass (18 g/mol). This gives us 0.556 moles of water in the solution.

Next, we can calculate the number of molecules of water by multiplying the number of moles by Avogadro's number (6.022*10^23 molecules/mol). This gives us a total of 3.35*10^23 molecules of water in the solution.

To find the molecular density, we divide the number of molecules by the volume of the solution (0.01 cm^3). This gives us a molecular density of 3.35*10^25 molecules/cm^3 for water.

In summary, the atom density of 235-U in the solution is 2.56*10^24 atoms/cm^3 and the molecular density of water is 3.35*10^25 molecules/cm^3.

1. What is the atomic density of 235-U?

The atomic density of 235-U is approximately 19.05 x 10^28 atoms per cubic meter.

2. How does the molecular density of 235-U compare to that of water solution?

The molecular density of 235-U is significantly higher than that of water solution. 235-U has a molecular weight of 235 grams per mole, while water has a molecular weight of only 18 grams per mole. This means that for the same volume, the number of molecules of 235-U will be much higher than that of water.

3. Can the density of 235-U and water solution be changed?

Yes, the density of both 235-U and water solution can be changed by altering the temperature and pressure of the substance. As temperature and pressure increase, the density of a substance decreases, and vice versa.

4. How does the density of 235-U and water solution affect their properties?

The density of a substance has a significant impact on its properties. In the case of 235-U, its high density makes it a highly radioactive and dense material, while the lower density of water allows it to easily dissolve and transport other substances.

5. Is the density of 235-U and water solution important in nuclear reactions?

Yes, the density of 235-U is crucial in nuclear reactions as it determines the number of atoms available for fission and the amount of energy released. The density of water solution is also important as it acts as a moderator, slowing down the neutrons released during fission reactions.