Homology/Cohomology in Theoretical Particle Physics?

In summary, the question being discussed is whether homology or cohomology is relevant to theoretical physics and if it would be worth taking a commutative/homological algebra class. Some suggest that these subjects have distant uses in physics, particularly in understanding geometry and topology. Examples are given, such as the connection between half-integer spins and the fundamental group of the Lorentz group, and the application of de Rahm cohomology in gauge theories. Others suggest focusing on representation theory of Lie groups/algebras first before studying commutative algebra.
"pi"mp
Hi all, I apologize if this should have been posted in a math section instead, I wasn't sure. But I'm wondering if homology or cohomology ever comes up in theoretical physics? I'm being introduced to it at the same time in an algebra class and a manifolds class. There's a commutative/homological algebra class offered next semester, just wondering if it'd be worth it to sit in!

If it does come up, exactly in what respect?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I once heard Geoffrey Chew say, "Every physics student should learn homology theory." But that was a long time ago, at a time when he thought that the analyticity properties of the S-matrix were going to be the answer to the world's problems. Turns out he was wrong.

These subjects might have distant uses in physics, depending on the emphasis. I'd suggest asking the instructor if he himself is aware of any physics applications. And if his answer is no, look for another course.

(Co)homology is an important ingredient in understanding geometry, so it's worthwhile learning for many reasons. There are areas of physics where topology is directly applied.

For example, half-integer spins can be understood as so-called projective representations of the rotation group. Furthermore, the possible spins are associated to the fundamental group ##\pi_1(G)## of the Lorentz group. In 3+1 dimensions, this group is ##\pi_1(SO(3,1)=\mathbb{Z}_2## leading to the existence of bosons and fermions. In 2+1 dimensions, one considers ##\pi_1(SO(2,1)=\mathbb{Z}##, which leads to additional representations that are neither fermions nor bosons, called anyons.

A more obvious example which I won't try to over-elaborate on is electromagnetism and more general gauge theories, where the connection between de Rahm cohomology and things like Stokes' theorem are directly relevant. There are additional deep connections between topology and gauge theories. You might browse through Nakahara, Geometry, Topology and Physics for some examples.

Commutative algebra does crop up in some fairly esoteric physics theories. You'd be better off studying as much representation theory of Lie groups/algebras first, since that has applications to almost everything.

If you're saying that an understanding of group theory is more important, I agree. If you say that homological algebra will help you understand group theory, I disagree.

Last edited:

1. What is homology and cohomology in theoretical particle physics?

Homology and cohomology are mathematical tools used in theoretical particle physics to study the topology and geometry of a physical system. Homology is concerned with the identification of topological features such as holes and voids in a space, while cohomology is concerned with the characterization of these features. They are used to classify and understand the properties and interactions of particles and fields in theoretical models.

2. How are homology and cohomology used in theoretical particle physics?

In theoretical particle physics, homology and cohomology are used to study and classify the symmetries and topological properties of physical systems. They are used to identify and analyze the existence of particles, fields, and their interactions, and to understand the behavior of these entities in different scenarios. These mathematical tools also help in the construction and validation of theoretical models.

3. What is the importance of homology and cohomology in theoretical particle physics?

Homology and cohomology are essential tools in theoretical particle physics as they provide a rigorous mathematical framework to study the properties and behavior of physical systems. They help in the development and testing of theoretical models and provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles and symmetries of the universe. These tools also play a crucial role in the prediction and discovery of new particles and interactions.

4. What are some examples of the application of homology and cohomology in theoretical particle physics?

Homology and cohomology have been applied in various areas of theoretical particle physics, such as the study of gauge theories, supersymmetry, and string theory. They have also been used in the classification of particles and fields, the analysis of phase transitions in quantum field theories, and the study of topological defects and solitons. These tools have also played a significant role in the development of the Standard Model of particle physics.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of homology and cohomology in theoretical particle physics?

While homology and cohomology are powerful tools in theoretical particle physics, they also have their limitations. These mathematical techniques can only be applied to systems with well-defined topological and geometric structures, and they may not be applicable in systems with complex or chaotic behavior. Additionally, the interpretation of results obtained from these tools can be challenging and may require further theoretical and experimental validation.