Calculating Spring Constant for Maximum Acceleration of a Car

In summary, the conversation was about the correct formula for finding the spring constant, k, of a spring designed to bring a 1200kg car to rest from a speed of 100km/h while the occupants experience a maximum acceleration of 5.0g. One party suggested using the equations v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad and 1/2mv2^2=1/2mv1^2+mad, while the other suggested ma=kx, ma/k=x and then 1/2mv^2=1/2k(ma/k)^2. The expert summarizer concludes that the second method is correct, with a spring constant of 3700 N/m, and advises questioning
Hollysmoke
Okay, I'm having a debate with my teacher. He's saying I'm wrong but I still think I'm right. The question is:

What should be the spring constant, k, of a spring designed to bring a 1200kg car to rest from a speed of 100km/h so that the occupants undergo a maximum acceleration of 5.0g?

He said to use the equations v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad and 1/2mv2^2=1/2mv1^2+mad

I said ma=kx, ma/k=x

then 1/2mv^2=1/2k(ma/k)^2, solve for k and I get 3700, whereas he got 14,000. Could someone please help me out with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Infact, I get a value of just over 14,000 using your method. Did you convert the speed to m/s? Also use g = 9.8 ms-2.

I used g, yes. and I did convert.

I'm really sorry, I actually get a value of just over 3700.

Hollysmoke said:
1/2mv2^2=1/2mv1^2+mad
What formula is that?

I would do it differently. :tongue2:

First, I used this formula do find the displacement of the spring:

[tex]v^2 = {v_0}^2 + 2ax[/tex]

It gives [tex]x = 8.0[/tex] m.

Then, I used Hooke's Law to find the spring constant.

[tex]F = -k.x[/tex]

[tex]m.a = -k.x[/tex]

[tex]k = \frac{-m.a}{x}[/tex]

[tex]k = \frac{-1200 \times -5 \times 9.80}{8}[/tex]

[tex]k = 7350[/tex] N/m

neutrino said:
I'm really sorry, I actually get a value of just over 3700.

Yes, I did too!

See, my reasoning is, F=ma=kx, but k and m are constant, therefore when a greater force is applied to scretch the spring (or in this case, compress), acceleration changes (as well as x). However, the other two equations involves a uniform acceleration, which you can't have in this case.

Hollysmoke said:
See, my reasoning is, F=ma=kx, but k and m are constant, therefore when a greater force is applied to scretch the spring (or in this case, compress), acceleration changes (as well as x). However, the other two equations involves a uniform acceleration, which you can't have in this case.

But in this case, isn't the car undergoing a constant acceleration of -5g? :grumpy:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hollysmoke said:
Okay, I'm having a debate with my teacher. He's saying I'm wrong but I still think I'm right. The question is:

What should be the spring constant, k, of a spring designed to bring a 1200kg car to rest from a speed of 100km/h so that the occupants undergo a maximum acceleration of 5.0g?

He said to use the equations v2^2 = v1^2 + 2ad and 1/2mv2^2=1/2mv1^2+mad

I said ma=kx, ma/k=x

then 1/2mv^2=1/2k(ma/k)^2, solve for k and I get 3700, whereas he got 14,000. Could someone please help me out with this?
You cannot use [itex]1/2mv2^2=1/2mv1^2+mad[/itex] because the acceleration is not constant.

If the maximum acceleration is 5 g = -49 m/sec^2 then kd = 5mg where d is the stopping distance. So k = 5mg/d

The work done in stopping the car is stored in spring: [itex]\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = \frac{1}{2}kd^2[/itex], so:

[tex]kd^2 = 5mgd = mv^2[/tex]

[tex]5gd = v^2[/tex]

[tex]d = v^2/5g = 15.75 m[/tex]

So k = 5mg/d = 5*1200*9.8/15.75 = 3700 N/m to two significant figures.

AM

Last edited:
Ah... of course it is not constant. Sorry, my mistake.

It's a maximum acceleration

Hollysmoke said:
Yes, I did too!

I can't check the numbers right now but your method seems correct. And of course, as you pointed out, the equation he suggested is wrong because the acceleration is not constant. I am sure that when you tell him/her that, he will slap himself and agree with you!

Yes, know I understand. I was naive. :grumpy:

Thank Hollysmoke and Andrew Mason! :approve:

nrqed said:
I can't check the numbers right now but your method seems correct. And of course, as you pointed out, the equation he suggested is wrong because the acceleration is not constant. I am sure that when you tell him/her that, he will slap himself and agree with you!

Actually, that's why I'm here. I told him and he brushed me off, saying F=ma=kx <- Acceleration is constant. I actually just stormed out of the class and had a discussion with the VP about it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a total ass of myself though. Thanks for your help :3

Hollysmoke said:
Actually, that's why I'm here. I told him and he brushed me off, saying F=ma=kx <- Acceleration is constant. I actually just stormed out of the class and had a discussion with the VP about it. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a total ass of myself though. Thanks for your help :3
Ask him how the force can be constant if x changes. If he says it doesn't change, ask him to explain physically how the spring slows the car down. Perhaps there we have a different understanding of how the spring is configured.

AM

Okay, I'll do that. I'll tell you how it goes tomorrow ^^

Hollysmoke said:

I am flabbergasted!
I mean, I can imagine a prof being distracted and for a second using an invalid equation, but to *defend* that the acceleration is constant for mass connected to a spring is amazing. Wow...

Good luck!

What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the relationship between the force applied to an elastic material, such as a spring, and the resulting displacement caused by that force. It states that the force applied is directly proportional to the displacement of the material.

How does a spring obey Hooke's Law?

When a force is applied to a spring, it will stretch or compress proportionally to the amount of force applied. This stretch or compression is known as the displacement and is directly proportional to the force. This relationship is known as Hooke's Law.

What is the formula for Hooke's Law?

The formula for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied, k is the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the spring), and x is the displacement of the spring.

How does the spring constant affect Hooke's Law?

The spring constant, k, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It is a constant value that determines how much force is required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain amount. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and will require more force to stretch or compress it, while a lower spring constant means the spring is more flexible and will require less force.

What are the limitations of Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is only applicable to materials that exhibit elastic behavior, meaning they can return to their original shape after being deformed. It also assumes that the force is applied slowly and that the material is not taken beyond its elastic limit. Additionally, Hooke's Law only applies to small deformations and becomes less accurate as the force and displacement increase.