How are electricity and magnetism related?

In summary, electricity and magnetism are closely related, as changing electric fields can generate magnetic fields and vice versa. Electromagnetic waves are a combination of these two fields and are created by the movement of charged particles. The equation E=hf shows the relationship between the frequency and energy of an EM wave. While energy can be converted to mass in certain cases, such as when a particle and its antiparticle annihilate, this is not usually the case for moving particles like electrons and protons.
AznBoi
I know that electric fields generate magnetic fields (when you put a compass next to a wire that has current in it the needle moves indicating that a mag. field is present). I know that changing magnetic fields can generate electric fields or induced emf.

What does electromagnetic waves have to do with this though? It says in my textbook that whenever a charged particle accelerates it radiates energy. Why is this? So the EM waves are actually a combination of magnetic and electric fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, now I've read about how alternating electric fields generate waves and I know that alternating electric fields will create alternating magnetic fields and the alternating magnetic fields will geneterate its own wave perpendicular to the electric wave. These waves created by the fields are just energy right? All waves are propagations of energy correct? Is there like a mathematical formula to cancel out the units of the electric field and the magnetic field to get Joules? I'm just astonished at how a wave can form from varying fields of electricity and magnetism.

electricity and magnetism are related in that the magnetic force is merely the electric force in another inertial reference frame.

Youre looking for the equation E=hf. An EM waves energy equals its frequency times Planks constant. This provided evidence for the photon theory and the wave-particle nature of light

Is that means that a charged particles (mass) annihilate at some time when they radiate all of their energy?

rootX said:
Is that means that a charged particles (mass) annihilate at some time when they radiate all of their energy?

Not usually. The most obvious example of E=hf is an atom absorbing a photon of light, an electron jumping up to a higher energy level, the electron dropping back down to a lower energy level, and emitting a photon. The change in energy is proportional to the frequency of light used, and the only absorbable frequencies are those that correspond to the atoms specific energy levels.

However, when a particle encounters its respective antiparticle (an electron and a positron), the 2 annhilate each other. The mass is converted to energy (E=mc^2) and photons are created of frequency E/h

Mass doesn't usually just turn into energy though. Electrons in an atom are not classical particles. They are orbiting the nucleus and should be constantly giving off energy, but they only do so when they drop to a lower orbital

I was kind of talking about an electron or proton on its own.
Like there is a single electron(or a proton), traveling in space @ some speed. So, it is generating a magnetic field (right?). And let's say this magnetic force do work on a particle.
So, that means that moving electron or proton has lost some energy equals to the work done on the particle.

So, from where does that energy comes from? I am thinking right now that the moving proton or electron would lose its kinetic energy rather than getting its mass converted to energy.
Am I right though?

=========================================================

rootX said:
And let's say this magnetic force do work on a particle.
So, that means that moving electron or proton has lost some energy equals to the work done on the particle.

When a magnetic field exerts a force on a moving charge, the force is perpendicular to the velocity and the field (right hand rule). In this case, the work done on the particle is zero because force is perpendicular to displacement. I am not sure about the other case where a magnet does work on another stationary magnet

That does make sense!
Thanks.

1. How are electricity and magnetism related?

Electricity and magnetism are two fundamental forces of nature that are closely related. This relationship is described by Maxwell's equations, which show that electric currents create magnetic fields, and changing magnetic fields create electric currents.

2. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is the phenomenon where electricity and magnetism are interconnected. It is the force that enables electrically charged particles to create magnetic fields and for changing magnetic fields to induce electric currents.

3. How do electric currents create magnetic fields?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the strength of the current and is also affected by the shape and distance of the wire.

4. How do changing magnetic fields create electric currents?

When a magnetic field changes or moves past a conductor, it can induce an electric current in the conductor. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction and is the basis for the function of many electrical devices, such as generators and transformers.

5. What is the significance of the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

The relationship between electricity and magnetism is crucial in understanding and harnessing the power of electromagnetism. It allows us to create and control electric currents, which are essential for modern technology, such as electricity generation, communication systems, and electronic devices.