How can i calculate the voltage division in a circuit like this?

In summary: The equation you're looking for is: R1=(0.5- VR1/VS)*(R1+R2). This equation is used to calculate the resistance of a potentiometer. The VR1 is the voltage at the wiper or adjustment terminal. VS is the voltage across the whole potentiometer. So, in this case, the equation would be: R1=(0.5- 3V)*(4+6). This would give you a resistance of 12 ohms. See the second paragraph of my response. The equation you're looking for is: R1=(0.5- VR1/VS)*(R1+R2). This equation is used
CaspianTiger
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/bornstubborn101/circuit3.jpg

This is the circuit. Basically i need to calculate the two resistors that would make up the potentiometer at VR1 to give a voltage of 3V.
I was going to use

VR1 = R2/(R1+R2)*Vs

The make:

R1= VR1/Vs*(R1+R2)

However apaprently this is wrong due to the +15V and the -15V inputs and that i need to use this equation.

R1=(0.5- VR1/VS)*(R1+R2)

I don;t know where this equation comes from so i can;t really use it in my report. Does anyone know where this equation comes from and how i can explain it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying when you need to calculate the two resistors that make up a potentiometer. A potentiometer is a resistor with three terminals--across the two end terminals, you have constant resistance while the wiper adjusts the position from one end to the other:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

In this case, R1 + R2 add up to the potentiometer resistance. Don't worry about the fact that there's +/- 15V at the top and bottom end of the potentiometer. There's a total of 30V across the resistor. A level of +3V is 18V from the bottom (the -15V). That should give you the hint you need to complete this.

MATLABdude said:
I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying when you need to calculate the two resistors that make up a potentiometer. A potentiometer is a resistor with three terminals--across the two end terminals, you have constant resistance while the wiper adjusts the position from one end to the other:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

In this case, R1 + R2 add up to the potentiometer resistance. Don't worry about the fact that there's +/- 15V at the top and bottom end of the potentiometer. There's a total of 30V across the resistor. A level of +3V is 18V from the bottom (the -15V). That should give you the hint you need to complete this.

Ok i understand the values of the resistors R1 and R2 are 4 and 6 ohms. However i am trying to use the final equation in my first post in a report i am writing. However i do not know where this equation comes from and i need to explain this potentiometer and the values for the R1 and R2 which make it.

CaspianTiger said:
Ok i understand the values of the resistors R1 and R2 are 4 and 6 ohms. However i am trying to use the final equation in my first post in a report i am writing. However i do not know where this equation comes from and i need to explain this potentiometer and the values for the R1 and R2 which make it.

See the second paragraph of my response.

1. How do I calculate the voltage division in a circuit?

To calculate the voltage division in a circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage is equal to current multiplied by resistance. By knowing the values of the resistors in the circuit, you can use this formula to determine the voltage at each point in the circuit.

2. What is the purpose of calculating voltage division in a circuit?

Calculating voltage division is useful in determining the overall voltage in a circuit and the voltage drop across individual components. This information can help in selecting the appropriate resistors and ensuring the circuit functions properly.

3. Can I use voltage division to find the voltage across a specific resistor in a circuit?

Yes, voltage division can be used to determine the voltage across a specific resistor in a circuit. By using the formula V=IR, you can calculate the voltage drop across the resistor by knowing its resistance and the current flowing through it.

4. How does the placement of resistors in a circuit affect voltage division?

The placement of resistors in a circuit can affect voltage division. For example, if two resistors are placed in series, the voltage will be divided between them based on their individual resistances. However, if two resistors are placed in parallel, the voltage will be the same across both resistors.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when calculating voltage division in a circuit?

Some common mistakes to avoid when calculating voltage division in a circuit include forgetting to account for the internal resistance of a power supply, not properly accounting for the direction of current flow, and using the wrong units for resistance or current. It is important to double check all values and calculations to ensure accuracy.