1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can i calculate the voltage division in a circuit like this?

1. Mar 10, 2009 #1
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y160/bornstubborn101/circuit3.jpg

This is the circuit. Basically i need to calculate the two resistors that would make up the potentiometer at VR1 to give a voltage of 3V.
    I was going to use

VR1 = R2/(R1+R2)*Vs

The make:

R1= VR1/Vs*(R1+R2)

However apaprently this is wrong due to the +15V and the -15V inputs and that i need to use this equation.

R1=(0.5- VR1/VS)*(R1+R2)

I don;t know where this equation comes from so i can;t really use it in my report. Does anyone know where this equation comes from and how i can explain it.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying when you need to calculate the two resistors that make up a potentiometer. A potentiometer is a resistor with three terminals--across the two end terminals, you have constant resistance while the wiper adjusts the position from one end to the other:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potentiometer

In this case, R1 + R2 add up to the potentiometer resistance. Don't worry about the fact that there's +/- 15V at the top and bottom end of the potentiometer. There's a total of 30V across the resistor. A level of +3V is 18V from the bottom (the -15V). That should give you the hint you need to complete this.

4. Mar 11, 2009 #3
    Ok i understand the values of the resistors R1 and R2 are 4 and 6 ohms. However i am trying to use the final equation in my first post in a report i am writing. However i do not know where this equation comes from and i need to explain this potentiometer and the values for the R1 and R2 which make it.

5. Mar 11, 2009 #4

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

See the second paragraph of my response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook