How Can I Correctly Calculate the Intensity in a Diffraction Pattern?

In summary: Yes, that is correct. Remember, when you calculate the sine of an angle, you need to use radians, not degrees. So when you input 1.2 degrees into your calculator, it is actually treating it as 1.2 radians. To convert from degrees to radians, you need to multiply by ##\frac{\pi}{180}##. So for 1.2 degrees, the calculation would be ##1.2\cdot\frac{\pi}{180}\approx 0.0209## radians. This is why you were getting the wrong answer before.
Isaac Pepper

Homework Statement

Monochromatic light of wavelength 463 nm from a distant source passes through a slit that is 0.0350 mm wide. In the resulting diffraction pattern, the intensity at the center of the central maximum (θ = 0∘) is 9.20*10-5W/m2 .
What is the intensity at a point on the screen that corresponds to θ = 1.20∘.

Homework Equations

I=I0*[sin(πa(sinθ)/λ) / (πasinθ/λ)]2

The Attempt at a Solution

I = 9.20*10-5 * [sin(π*0.035*10-3*(sin1.20)) / 463*10-9 / π*0.035*10-3(sin1.20)/463*10-9 ] 2
= 2.802*10-8 W.m-2

This is the answer that I have found but unfortunately it has come up as wrong - I have made sure that my calculator is in degrees and not radians, and have tried multiple times to see if I have made a mistake whilst inputting in the calculator.
Any idea where I have made a mistake ?

PS: As I am new could you also give me any insight as to how to write my calculations out more clearly on this website, because I am aware that it is very tedious to read the calculations, thanks !

Physics news on Phys.org
So what do you get for ##\ {\displaystyle{ \pi \, a \sin\theta\over \lambda}}\ ## ?

You can use LaTeX by putting latex source between ## \#\# ## or between ## $$ ##

A good way to learn is to use the right mouse button while over a typeset formula and select "Show Math As | TeX Commands"​

[edit] your "I have made sure that my calculator is in degrees" makes me suspicious about ##\ \ \sin \left ( \displaystyle { \pi \, a \sin\theta\over \lambda} \ \right ) \ \ ## :wink: ! 0.087 is dead wrong !

Oh and for such small angles ##\sin\theta \approx \theta ## and you can leave your calculator on radians :rolleyes:

Last edited:
For ##{ \pi \, a \sin\theta\over \lambda} ##
I have got :
π*0.035*10-3*sin(1.2) / 463*10-9 ≈ 4.97

which would therefore give me##
\ \ \sin \left ( \displaystyle { \pi \, a \sin\theta\over \lambda} \ \right ) ≈ -0.97 \ \

##And if I apply the whole formula : I=I0*[sin(πa(sinθ)/λ) / (πasinθ/λ)]2

Is that correct?

Sorry, about the problems using LaTeX, I'm still getting used to it and am trying to edit them out!

Edit : The answer is indeed correct, thank you ! I was just confused as to why I needed to use radians instead of degrees, I think I understand but an explanation would still be welcome, thank you <3

Last edited:
If you are really a beginner, you are doing quite well with LaTeX.

The natural unit for angles is radians. (even in a miscreant like Excel !).

In the expression for ##I/I_0## the ##\displaystyle { a \sin\theta\over \lambda} \ ## is a phase difference in number of wavelengths - so in natural units, not in degrees. See also here (but this is a calculation for a minimum).

Related to How Can I Correctly Calculate the Intensity in a Diffraction Pattern?

What is interference intensity?

Interference intensity refers to the strength or magnitude of the interference pattern created when two or more waves interact with each other.

How is interference intensity measured?

Interference intensity is typically measured by recording the amplitude or brightness of the interference pattern at different points on a screen or detector.

What factors affect interference intensity?

The intensity of interference can be affected by the wavelength and amplitude of the interacting waves, the distance between the sources, and the angle at which the waves intersect.

What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves of the same wavelength and amplitude intersect, resulting in a larger amplitude and brighter interference pattern. Destructive interference occurs when two waves of opposite amplitude intersect, resulting in a cancellation of the waves and a darker interference pattern.

How is interference intensity used in scientific research?

Interference intensity is used in a variety of research fields, including optics, acoustics, and quantum mechanics. It allows scientists to study the properties of waves and their interactions, and can also be used to create precise measurements and control of waves in experiments.